Diabetic Living | Teen Ink

Diabetic Living

November 27, 2008
By Anonymous

I have been living with diabetes (type one) since I was four years old. Diabetes (type one) is where your pancreas stops or doesn't make enough insulin. It has been a challenge all of my life living with it. When I was little all I understood, was the fact that I wasn't normal and could not always be like everybody else. I was made fun of multiple times. Now, thirteen years old, I am still at a challenge with accepting it. A few weeks ago, I went to the doctors, an endocrinologist, a diabetic specialist. They discovered I was not testing my blood glucose as much as I should have been. I made a HUGE mistake. My parents were disappointed, I was grounded for at least three week from sleepovers, and was threatened on not going to Washington DC for the eighth grade field trip. Since then, I have been testing and doing everything right. But then last week, my sugar got out of hand. For no reason of why it was so high, I wound up in the ER for a few hours and missed two days of school. There was nothing I did to cause it or could do to stop it. I still have not accepted the fact though. I still wish I was just another kid. But I am not. And that's life. I am thankful for what I have though. Great friends, a loving family, and I couldn't ask for anything more.


The author's comments:
I just wanted to inform people of diabetes, and just because someone is different, for something they can't control, does NOT mean they should be made fun of.