World's Greatest Fear: Ebola | Teen Ink

World's Greatest Fear: Ebola

October 11, 2014
By Kaydie PLATINUM, Uyo, Other
Kaydie PLATINUM, Uyo, Other
23 articles 0 photos 48 comments

Favorite Quote:
"There are all these ideas about what is perfect and what is beautifu land what is smart,but the most appealing thing is,that which is me is nobody else"







-Jennifer Lopez


Worse than any other type of disease in the world is the Ebola virus which has fast risen from being West Africa's greatest fear to the World's greatest fear after being recognised in Texas. History cannot really place its hand on the origin of the Ebola virus but the first recorded case of ebola virus came from Southern Sudan in June 1976. The second outbreak was found in The Republic of Congo.It has the name Ebola from the river,Ebola located near Zaire.

 

Presently, Ebola is a virus that has no cure. What makes it more fearful is the way it is transmitted: blood or BODY FLUID of an infected person. Entry points such as the nose, eyes, ears, cuts, etc.Now, scratching of eyes or ears,chewing of fingernails which has become a habit of most and is hard to stop,poking of nose or even sucking of fingers in babies which is usual, without washing of hands is dangerous. There are peolple who can stand pain without anyone knowing he or she is ill. If such people contact the virus,what happens? Dad says this is a wrong time for anyone to fall ill especially if it is malaria or fever.But what pains me most is the effect this virus will have on the world in this aspects: society, church, home, health/sciences, schools, etc

In the society,it will affect socialization and public relationships.No more shaking of hands or hugging people. Some parents stop their kids from going out to play sports in the evening time because of the fear that they will get the virus from the sweat of friends who have it. Sometimes entering a public vehicle is traumatizing because you don't know who has sat there. Going to dine in eateries will be less because we don't know the kind of hands that have been used to cook. Using toilets at a public gathering even when a person is pressed is difficult since it is public. When it comes to the life of the business man in the society,especially here in Nigeria,local bread will become difficult to buy. Breads that haven't been made in a standard factory and as such, no one will patronise the local bread sellers.

Health workers are at the risk of loosing their lives. Many have already lost their lives. People go to see the doctor everyday. He cannot even give a handshake to his patient again until he is sure of the ailment. When ebola has the same symptoms as malaria,the health workers have to take precaution in dealing with a case like that.Now so much pressure will be mounted on scientist to find the cure to the virus. Everyone is looking up to them more than they even look up to God.

In the church,there is no more "hold somebody,tell him that you love him.Put your hands together and praise the Lord." Why? We don't know who-is-who. Churches have even changed their style of taking communion.

Especially in Africa,when it comes to customs and traditions,there is going to be a drastic change. For example,in the burial of a person,where certain rites are to be performed on the body.If the person dies of ebola, such things can't be done as they might not even have the body to even cry on.

My teacher jokingly said that even witches will be careful with the kind of blood they suck.So will vampires.(I'm laughing) but it's true.Rights of initiation into cults will change too although that's on the positive side.

Ebola has shaken the society so much as right now,it is not only in Africa but has entered some places which is bad. Although on the positive side,people will begin to observe good health safety measures like regular washing of hand and stopping habits like chewing nails.The challenge is the negative side of ebola is more than the positive.

Now that presently,ebola has no cure, it is on our part as citizens of our counmtries and members of this world to at least curb the rate at which it is spread. Quarantine is not death or discrimination. It is just to make sure one doesn't  spread the virus to people around and to treat the victim. It is their joy to see one recover from it. Government of different states and countries should ensure that their hospitals are well-equipped and their quarantine homes are worth staying in. Quarantine should not just be dumping someone in a house but in a properly equipped place. Sometimes it is the place of quarantine that kills before the virus (if someone has it). Eliminating ebola virus starts from you and you alone.


The author's comments:

Believe it or not,ebola can be completely curbed without even a cure being found only if each person starts it with him/herself.You are the cure to THE EBOLA VIRUS.