Stress and the Teenage Soul | Teen Ink

Stress and the Teenage Soul

November 27, 2009
By BroadwayBaby92 GOLD, Punta Gorda, Florida
BroadwayBaby92 GOLD, Punta Gorda, Florida
19 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Some women choose to follow men, and some women choose to follow their dreams. If you're wondering which way to go, remember that your career will never wake up and tell you that it doesn't love you anymore."
— Lady Gaga


The high school years can be the most trying times in an individual’s life. With the pressures of world weighing down on us it’s often hard to keep sane. We are expected to do our schoolwork (plus shoot for high grades and take extra-hard classes such as AP and Honors), be involved in extra-curricular activities, do volunteer/charity work, attempt to hold a job, do our chores, participate in nearly all school events and activities, spend time with family and friends, study for the SATs, choose a career, decide on a college, try to nab scholarships, still look our best at all the functions we attend, exercise, attend parties, and attempt, if possible, to get a maximum of four hours sleep at night. With all of these things weighing on our mind, life can be an impossible thing to deal with. Sometimes we just want to give up and crawl under a rock till graduation time. We must remember that to keep healthy during this time we must know how to properly deal with stress. Hopefully, these simple, and short, tips will help you properly deal with at least some of the stress you are dealing with at the moment. Even if you take five, five minute breaks during the day it will help you re-focus mentally and physically. Now here are some tips.
1.
Take a stretch break: by getting up from your desk or couch, or wherever you may be working on your school, can help clear your mind for easier learning. You can start by standing up nice and tall and stretching you arms above your head. Then, you can progress by moving your arms in large circular motions. Also, try sitting on the floor and stretching out your legs. You will be surprised on how much better you will feel after you do this.
2.
Walk outside: just by simply getting out of your house (or outside of your job or school) just for a few minutes can make you feel much better. Once outside, try taking deep breaths and just close your eyes to relax awhile.
3.
Listen to some music: even if it’s just for ten minutes, listening to some of your favorite songs on your ipod, zune, or mp3 player can lighten your mood. Try to listen to relaxing, soothing songs (often hard rock or rap will only make you more agitated and stressed out). If easy jazz doesn’t float your boat try listening to classic rock songs or less “energizing” songs.
4.
Take a cat nap: you might be saying, “I don’t have time to take a nap” but a 15-minute nap in the afternoon will make you feel ten times better than you did before. You might be groggy when you first wake up from your nap but it will be better for you in the long run.
5.
Watch some TV: now I know that this sounds like you are procrastinating or wasting time but taking a half-an hour to watch your favorite show can make you more eager or willing to start back to your work. This will allow you to relax, put life off your mind for just a little bit, and start again with more energy and motivation than you did before.
You must remember to take the stress-relieving tips with moderation. Of course you wouldn’t want to sit in front of the TV for two hours because that would be putting off what you should be doing. If you just take short breaks anywhere from 5-15 minutes at a time it will help re-energize you and motivate you to keep going, no matter how hard it seems to get. Just remember to trust in yourself and give your body the stress-relieving tips it deserves. You will feel so much better physically, mentally, and emotionally.