Recognizing ADHD in Teens | Teen Ink

Recognizing ADHD in Teens

By joanna43177 BRONZE, Dubai, Other
joanna43177 BRONZE, Dubai, Other

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a neurodevelopmental mental disability that affects many teens and pre-teens, often leading to significant challenges in daily life. Despite its frequency, ADHD is frequently overlooked or misunderstood, with many individuals and their families struggling to recognize and recognize its symptoms. Research indicates that ADHD is typically present from birth and often runs in families. Understanding ADHD is crucial, as it impacts various aspects of a person’s life, including academic performance, social relationships, and emotional well-being. Let’s delve into how this condition works and its conditions for adolescents.

ADHD can be characterized into 3 main types:

ADHD, Predominantly Inattentive Presentation: This type of ADHD usually distributes characteristics of people not being able to get themselves to get to doing tasks, constant procrastination, and difficulty sustaining focus and completing work. This is more commonly seen in teens and adults. It is referred to as ADHD-I.

ADHD, Predominantly Hyperactive Presentation: This type of ADHD usually mainly has people of characteristics who struggle to be able to sit still, focus, stop fidgeting, constantly run around, have impulsivity, and also struggle with patience. This is more commonly seen in toddlers and young kids. It is referred to as ADHD-HI. 

ADHD, Combined Presentation: This type of ADHD is a combination of both ADHD-I and ADHD-HI. It shows symptoms of both hyperactivity and inattentiveness.

First off, how can we even tell if a child or teen has ADHD? Isn’t it just having trouble focusing? Doesn’t everyone have that?

That’s what any parent, usually ignorant and uneducated about ADHD would say. But no, there is way more to finding out if your child or teen is just distracted, or has ADHD. Here are some of the following symptoms of ADHD in adolescence:

Increased Distraction

Lack of focus

Often disorganized

Often forgetful

Hyperactivity

Extremely emotional

Rejection sensitive

Impulsivity

Tantrums

Stubbornness

If you see these symptoms in your child, they likely have ADHD. 

Another common issue amongst teens or middle schoolers is the effect of ADHD on academic performance. Because most teens and pre-teens have the type of ADHD where it is more predominantly ignorant than hyperactive, (ADHD-I) it is harder for students from ages 12-18 to focus on tasks.

The reason why most students nowadays are getting lower grades is most likely because the majority of them have ADHD which is overlooked or ignored. For all types of people with ADHD, the academic pressure from parents and teachers can cause extreme anxiety and stress for the student, only worsening the ADHD. Students with ADHD are usually more disorganized, have bad time management, have trouble focusing, and can procrastinate way more than students who don’t have ADHD.

Another frequently asked question by parents with teens who have ADHD is ‘How can I help my teen who has ADHD to overcome it?’

Although it isn’t possible to outgrow ADHD, the symptoms change over time and can be treated to become less impactful on someone's life through methods of counseling, medication, and organizational tools. For example, if a student at school has concerns about ADHD interfering with their studies, they can ask their parents to go to a counselor, or if a counselor outside isn’t available they can go to a school counselor. This can help immensely as the students can be free and open about their concerns about ADHD, anxiety, and stress caused by school or pressure.

As mentioned before, if someone has ADHD, they’ll likely develop another mental disability. Here are some examples of disorders one may get due to ADHD and its impacts:

Depression

Anxiety

Panic-Attacks

Sensory issues

Oppositional Defiant Disorder (ODD)

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD)

These disorders are very serious and should not be overlooked, which is why if a student is experiencing symptoms of any of these disorders, including ADHD, they should immediately tell a parent, teacher, counselor, or trusted adult and friend. Talking to someone can increase comfort and can let people have peace knowing they’re not alone in their situation. 

ADHD can also impact social relationships with friends and family. Because of the symptoms presented by someone with ADHD, you could say a friend or family member would perceive them as insensitive, impulsive, ignorant, forgetful, and a rude person overall. This may lead to avoidant and distancing behaviors from both people in the relationship as they are not aware of the impacts of ADHD, which is why it’s vital to discuss your mental health and well-being with everyone you love and trust so it doesn’t cause a misunderstanding.

A Canadian study highlighted the severe mental health risks associated with ADHD, revealing that adults with the disorder are significantly more likely to attempt suicide compared to those without ADHD. The research also found that 1 in 4 women with ADHD had made a suicide attempt. This alarming statistic shows the critical need for support and intervention for individuals with ADHD. If you suspect that someone you care about is struggling with suicidal thoughts, it is crucial to reach out to a counselor immediately. Addressing these concerns can provide essential support and prevent potential tragedies.

There are many misconceptions about ADHD. Starting, the biggest myth would probably be ‘only boys have ADHD’. People usually assume that only boys have ADHD because ADHD in young boys is usually ADHD-I, which is a hyperactive and impulsive representation, whereas young girls, usually teens, exhibit characteristics from ADHD-HI, an inattentive representation. Since hyperactive kids are more disruptive in class, teachers usually alert the parents about them more, the majority being young boys. However, young female kids who represent inattentive ADHD usually zone out and daydream in class, and the teacher usually just passes them off as introverted, which is why it is overlooked. This should be fixed as ignorance towards girls with ADHD can cause long-lasting impacts on their self-esteem.

Case Study: Madison Holleran

Madison Holleran was a quiet, shy kid. She often kept things to herself. But as she grew older, she broke out of her introverted personality once she started to compete in sports. Soccer was a real passion for her. Throughout high school, she was popular amongst her peers and had many friends. Most described her as kind or personable since she always had a smile on her face. After high school, she applied to The University of Pennsylvania, where she ran for one of the top programs in the country. Tragically, on January 17, 2014, Madison Holleran took her own life in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania at the age of 19. Loved ones say the reason for her sudden attempt was due to the tragic build-up of inner anxiety and depression, likely caused by the stress of academics and relationships with people, which are highly probable to be caused by ADHD. ESPN journalist Kate Fagan wrote a book sharing the tragic story of Madison Holleran called ‘What Made Maddy Run; The Secret Struggles And Tragic Death Of An All-American Teen’.

Another myth said by parents is that their children will grow out of ADHD after childhood. This is entirely false because instead of outgrowing it, the symptoms they display can change over time. For example, a little girl may show a hyperactive representation of ADHD when she is young, from ages 5-12. But ever since she had started high school, she started to show symptoms of combined ADHD. That is the only way it can differ when growing up with ADHD.

Worried parents also misunderstand the myth that kids with ADHD can’t focus on anything and may not be able to achieve anything. While it’s true that they have trouble focusing, ADHD kids can focus or even hyperfocus on things they are interested in. The reason for not being able to focus on things such as cleaning their room, studying a subject, or focusing in a class, is all because it seems uninteresting to the child. Most experts encourage parents to let their children take ADHD medicines to help them focus for longer periods and they also suggest them to let their child study in a branch most interesting to the child to help them achieve success. 

Personally, in my opinion, schools should have mental health or well-being tests taken for their students and inform parents accordingly to help them cope with the disorder they have or go through the respective treatment be it therapy, medication, or lifestyle changes. 

In conclusion, this research highlights the significant impact of ADHD on academic performance in adolescents, stating the need for effective interventions. Although this study faced limitations such as the medical field being involved, (psychiatry) it provides a foundation for further investigation into strategies for supporting students with ADHD. Ultimately, understanding and addressing ADHD in teens is crucial for developing their academic and personal success.

Important credits:

ADHD Symptoms in Teens, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Coping

Early Signs of ADHD in Children - HealthyChildren.org

Mental Health with ADHD: ODD, OCD, Learning Disabilities, Autism, Bipolar

How ADHD Affects Relationships And What You Can Do

Common ADHD Myths - Child Mind Institute

ADHD: Latest Research

Madison's Story - The Madison Holleran Foundation

What Made Maddy Run: The Secret Struggles and Tragic Death of an All-American Teen – TWLOHA

I feel connected to this piece as I also struggle in my day-to-day life with these symptoms. I feel like this article would have on impact on people of ages 13-18 with ADHD to help them feel seen and let them know they are not alone in their struggles