Flush | Teen Ink

Flush

April 1, 2009
By TheColorSilver PLATINUM, Commack, New York
TheColorSilver PLATINUM, Commack, New York
27 articles 22 photos 33 comments

She painfully finished the last drop of Pepsi in her family’s fridge. Guilt filled her mind, but she knew it would be over with a single flush. She forced her hand down her throat, then soon felt her stomach contract. Warm, bubbly mush rushed up her throat and into the white porcelain bowl. Smiling, she sprayed Lysol, and brushed her teeth several times with strong mint toothpaste. Then, flush.

She is not alone. Currently 1.5 million (1 out of 181) Americans are suffering from Bulimia. It starts with a single flush. With that flush your food and control of life spiral downwards.

On the cover of the magazines are 5’10” models weighing about 118 pounds. This is what so many people consider beautiful. What it really is, is unhealthy. Of all the people that have eating disorders, only 10% find help, and of the ones who find help, 80% do not get the help they need, and are never really recovered. 150,000 people die in America from an eating disorder every year. Is that beautiful?

Bulimia affects people of all ages and genders: men, woman, middle aged, teens, and children as young as 6 years old have also developed bulimia. Bulimia generally begins with people thinking that they aren’t good enough, and if they were to just lose “a couple pounds” their problems will disappear. Bulimia starts with throwing up after a binge, then throwing up after every meal. After each flush, a feeling of achievement crosses the mind, but the body reacts a different way.

These people begin feeling dizzy often, and weak. Their heart rate slows and their blood pressure lowers. They are often in fatal commas, and hurt easily. Is this the cost of beauty?
So many people believe that “thin is beautiful”. Beautiful comes in all shapes and sizes. Beautiful is confidence in yourself, not a number on a scale. So don’t flush.


Source:
http://www.state.sc.us/dmh/anorexia/statistics.htm


The author's comments:
This is a serious matter, please take this seriously. If you or anyone you know is suffering from an eating disorder, please find help.