Flush | Teen Ink

Flush

By TheColorSilver PLATINUM, Commack, New York
TheColorSilver PLATINUM, Commack, New York

She painfully finished the last drop of Pepsi in her family’s fridge. Guilt filled her mind, but she knew it would be over with a single flush. She forced her hand down her throat, then soon felt her stomach contract. Warm, bubbly mush rushed up her throat and into the white porcelain bowl. Smiling, she sprayed Lysol, and brushed her teeth several times with strong mint toothpaste. Then, flush.

She is not alone. Currently 1.5 million (1 out of 181) Americans are suffering from Bulimia. It starts with a single flush. With that flush your food and control of life spiral downwards.

On the cover of the magazines are 5’10” models weighing about 118 pounds. This is what so many people consider beautiful. What it really is, is unhealthy. Of all the people that have eating disorders, only 10% find help, and of the ones who find help, 80% do not get the help they need, and are never really recovered. 150,000 people die in America from an eating disorder every year. Is that beautiful?

Bulimia affects people of all ages and genders: men, woman, middle aged, teens, and children as young as 6 years old have also developed bulimia. Bulimia generally begins with people thinking that they aren’t good enough, and if they were to just lose “a couple pounds” their problems will disappear. Bulimia starts with throwing up after a binge, then throwing up after every meal. After each flush, a feeling of achievement crosses the mind, but the body reacts a different way.

These people begin feeling dizzy often, and weak. Their heart rate slows and their blood pressure lowers. They are often in fatal commas, and hurt easily. Is this the cost of beauty?
So many people believe that “thin is beautiful”. Beautiful comes in all shapes and sizes. Beautiful is confidence in yourself, not a number on a scale. So don’t flush.

Source:
http://www.state.sc.us/dmh/anorexia/statistics.htm

This is a serious matter, please take this seriously. If you or anyone you know is suffering from an eating disorder, please find help.

Ahbreejerae SILVER, Eagle Creek, Oregon

"Beneath the makeup and behind the smile I am just a girl who wishes for the world."
-Marilyn Monroe

It's much harder then you realize.. :/

tor10jax GOLD said...
tor10jax GOLD, Livingston, New Jersey
Please, get this published!

Keep writing!

Sjsbsh said...
Good job!

amyxu said...
This article was very eye-opening. A lot of people struggle with eating disorders/bulimia. Thanks for spreading a message of hope: we are all beautiful just as we are!

lgaga said...
Knowledge is the key to prevention. Let many people read this, let your writing be heard, and maybe one person will be forever changed. It should feel good to know that your writing has the capability to impact someone's life. Good job.

Lillygal said...
Well written, and I hope this encourages people not to "flush".

Banithene said...
They say knowing is prevention, and now I know why. How could you want to be like that after reading an article like this?

LaurryWebs said...
I was recently diagnosed with Bulimia and this article made me realize that I need help and want to get cured. I don't want to become "just another statistic".

Thank you for your comments! I may not be able to impact everyone every where, but I know I impacted someone somewhere!

Wonderer said...
I had an eating disorder and reading this could have helped me so much. Hopefully it will be able to help others. Hope this gets published!

MayaDaily said...
Some of these things are shocking towards how realistic EDs really are!