ADD/ADHD Is NOT a Joke | Teen Ink

ADD/ADHD Is NOT a Joke

August 22, 2019
By SergeantSteel82 GOLD, Fort Wayne, Indiana
SergeantSteel82 GOLD, Fort Wayne, Indiana
11 articles 0 photos 30 comments

Favorite Quote:
one of the greatest tragedies of our time is this impression that has been created that science and religion have to be at war.
-Francis Collins

I may never let go of my anger and wrath,
But I will always have the last laugh.
-Corey Taylor

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.
-Voltaire


People tend to hear the terms ADD (Atention Deficit Disorder) and ADHD (Atention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder) in the context of a joke. I have ADD, its not a joke, and although its not deadly, its still a very serious mental disorder. There are two different types of ADD, the first one is where you just cant foucus at all, the second one is where you can foucus one a few very specific things non stop for hours, and cant foucus on anything else. I have the second type. ADD can have different side effects on people to, for me, I have trouble with impulse control and I have awful anger issues without my pill. I'm currently homeschooled, but when I used to be public schooled, it was before I was diagnosed with ADD. I got good grades, but my teachers had a to keep on urging me to focus. I would get very stressed out at school, when i came home, all of that stress would burst out and I...... would tend to take it out on my sitsers. I dont like to talk about that any more, and its all in the past, but it's left mental and emotional scars and wounds in my sisters and I, some wounds still haven't healed. I love my sisters, and we genrally see eye to eye, but there are certain walls that will take years to break down. But those are only my personal problems, there are worse problems online for kids like me who openly admit their mental disability. Kids get bullied, ridiculed, and laghed at because of the disabilites they cannot control. People tend to joke about mental disabilities like depression, ADD/ADHD, autism, downsyndrome, etc. for the sake of impressing their peers, turning a blind eye to that person's feelings. Mental disordrs are not a joke or a meme, they are true problems affecting many people today, stop making fun of others and their issues.