Scary Stories Around the Campfire: Pt. 1 | Teen Ink

Scary Stories Around the Campfire: Pt. 1

May 13, 2016
By AlexTheGreat PLATINUM, Morganfield, Kentucky
AlexTheGreat PLATINUM, Morganfield, Kentucky
27 articles 2 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it…"


- Roald Dahl


The Importance of Temperature

Within the 20th century, the planet’s average temperature has risen about 1 degree. Yes, I know, whatever. A degree difference is such a silly thing to worry about. Except... Let’s think back to the last ice age. The Northeastern part of the U.S was buried under more than 3,000 feet of ice. Do you know the temperature difference between then and now? At the time, average temperatures were only 5 to 9 degrees cooler than now. By 2100, climate scientist predict that, if we don’t cut our carbon emissions, global temperatures will rise 2.5 to 10 degrees.

Many things have and will happen because of this warming. As of now, global sea level has risen approximately 8 inches. It was recently announced that five of the Solomon Islands have been captured by the Pacific due to this. Sea levels are projected to rise 1 to 4 feet by 2100. If this should happen, places as far flung as South Florida, Bangladesh, Shanghai, Hampton Roads in Virginia and parts of Washington, D.C., could be submerged by rising waters. Miami Beach and the Florida Keys could begin to disappear. New Orleans might become an island surrounded by levies. Floods like that of Hurricane Sandy could destroy parts of the East Coast with far greater frequency.

Over 90% of the heat produced by carbon pollution is absorbed by the oceans. This temperature rise is devestating to marine life. Australia’s National Coral Bleaching Task Force conducted a recent study, one that proved shocking. 93% of the Great Barrier Reef has bleached, 50% of the northern section dead.

Prof. Terry Hughes, head of the ARC Centre of Excellence for Coral Reef Studies at James Cook University, tweeted: 

“I showed the results of aerial surveys of #bleaching on the #GreatBarrierReef to my students, and then we wept.”

 

References:

NASA. "Global Climate Change; Vital Statistics of the Planet"

National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA). "Effects of Climate Change"

The Washington Post.