Air Pollution | Teen Ink

Air Pollution

March 17, 2014
By Batmar BRONZE, Burlington, New Jersey
Batmar BRONZE, Burlington, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Danger is real but, fear is choice"


Air Pollution



It’s all around us, every minute of every day. We know that it is there but, we can’t always see it. We feel it but, we don’t know what it is. It is colorless but, in groups it makes a difference. We Inhale too much of it, then we die. Air Pollution?



“We’ve known for about 20 years that we see increased risk of heart attack and stroke in association with increased levels of air pollution,” said Sara Adar, a professor of epidemiology at the University of Michigan. Since 20 years ago, air pollution has been a major problem on many cities. One of these cities is Shanghai, China. The first thing you notice when you step into Shanghai is the thick smog that is caressing the city. It layers over every building, car, and person. The damage it deals to the body is tragic. It works its way down into the lungs and does what a cigarette does. It starts to slowly weaken your lungs, your immune system, and your heart.



A staggering amount of 2.4 million people had died because of air pollution. 90% of these deaths came from heart diseases and the other 10% had died from lung and immunity diseases. Most of these deaths come from the smog-enshrouded areas nearby New Delhi and Beijing. Russia and Europe also has lots of air pollution which leads to diseases listed above.



The source of the pollution is around Beijing, New Delhi, and some spots in Europe. At the rate in which pollution is being made, some areas will be uninhabitable in less than 500 years. Most likely it will be smaller cities near China that you will be unable to live in.
Unlike most people, I have a reasonable way to lessen the problem we are having with pollution. You can, carpool, lessen electricity usage, and have more household plants. Carpooling, it reduces pollution and uses but, most people won’t do it without an incentive. Don’t do a prize or incentive that ruins the environment just as much. It should be that for every person you bring, you are allowed to come to work 5 minutes late.



Use less electricity is simple; minimize usage of different electricity material. Lastly, have household plants. They help to filter out the air, and keep it clean. Have at least one or two REAL house plants. Little shrubs or plants still make a difference. Remember, changing this, it all depends on what you do and how you act on it.







http://qz.com/103612/air-pollution-is-killing-as-many-as-2-4-million-people-each-year/

http://sinosphere.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/01/27/india-and-china-besieged-by-air-pollution/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/11/15/an-airborne-heart-threat/