A Greener Earth | Teen Ink

A Greener Earth

March 30, 2023
By yinm988 SILVER, Trenton, New Jersey
yinm988 SILVER, Trenton, New Jersey
6 articles 15 photos 1 comment

Out of all the planets in our small corner of the galaxy, the only one capable of sustaining life is the Earth. That is what makes our home world unique. But this differentiation also comes with its own unique set of challenges, which means humans must find creative solutions to address mounting environmental issues since there is only one Earth we know of.

One such solution is Community Gardening. These special types of gardens help reduce negative environmental impacts by promoting sustainable practices to conserve water and bolster native species. Drawing from my own experiences, I know this solution has plenty of potentials. When I came across the opportunity to volunteer at a Community Garden from my local Office of Sustainability, I immediately jumped on it. From harvesting Idaho potatoes to propagating sprouts, the work wasn’t easy. But at the end of each Sunday shift, I returned home not only dirty and sun-drenched but also excited to have witnessed the coming of a new life and eager to use my passion to inspire the community to action. Thus, I built a student team that sustainably cultivated over 700 pounds of fresh produce for local communities on the garden’s grounds. I had learned in Biology that sustainable gardening creates carbon storage which slows climate change, and my experience at the Community Garden drove this point home.

Besides fieldwork, environmental activism can also be integrated into artwork. I myself have organized three “Trashed Art” shows, curating works from artists who use recycled materials to make art. At this year’s show, forty-five students joined me in educating viewers on topics relating to recycling and remaking. Pieces ranged from a portrait of Van Gogh made out of sunflower seeds, a sculpture made with scrap paper, to a cardinal made from discarded plastic caps. I have come to embrace the idea that art inspires positive change in our relationship with nature. Through the show’s beautiful hand-made art, an innovative solution to the environmental crisis with a powerful message of hope is born.

From working at the community garden to creating recycled art, my passion for the environment continues to grow. Along the way, I have learned that perseverance, responsibility, and collaboration are all essential skills people need when developing environmental solutions. With these in mind, we can have a fulfilling lifetime of experiences that contribute to the protection of our natural world.