Salvation or Harm | Teen Ink

Salvation or Harm

December 1, 2022
JournalistFromAnotherWorld SILVER, Prague, Other
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The canned soup van Gogh incident has taken the world by a storm. While also causing a disappointment in the art community, the public has as well noticed the matter. Although some did not even bother to continue reading the news past the headlines, majority might still not know what to make of this issue due to the lack of context. The objective of this article is to give an insight on the dilemma that stroke the art industry as well as additionally providing background information followed by a personal view at the end.

 

It is more than vital to say this would not be the first time a protest like this would happen. One of the previous demonstrations occurred with Pablo Picasso painting. The protestants showed a disagreement with the oil caused pollution by gluing their hands to the canvas. Prior to this affair would other insurgents stick their palms to the frame of Vincent van Gogh’s Peach Tree in Blossom. In spite of the places and time of the arrangements differing, the motive still stays identical, in all situations mentioned the protestants were trying to shift focus on the topic of climate change along with the impact of oils and fuels. The arguments provided were on one hand valid however on the other told to the wrong audience. The only outcome of all the outcries was a damage and disrespect to the ones in the art community.

 

Following this event many artists took to their social media in order to convey the anger occupied by the embarrassment to the Just Stop Oil organisation. Now despite the strong emotions, the negotiated demonstration could act as highly discouraging to the public and further cause wrong representation of the less radical part of our society sharing the same opinions and ideals. The world has seen many protests against the climate change, pollution etc., and while most of them were Xerox profound, majority of them expressed the arguments peacefully. What is considered to be even worse is that this was emboldening to the radicals meaning these kinds of dissents happen now more frequently, destroying the inheritance that has once been left to us as a gift of the past knowledge and culture.

 

The outcome of any quarrel should in the better case be an accentuation of the problem, followed by a solution. I personally feel signifying an issue is acceptable, occasionally welcomed as long as it is respectful. There have been many who have done so and succeeded, however only due to doing so politely. In the end the key to the solution is to solve any complication by keeping a cool head.


The author's comments:

I felt writting this article was very crucial since it not only gives and insight on the current situation however also on the background. The main objective is to present this issue to wider range of society so that everyone can form an opinion of their own.