Green-Eyed Ruben | Teen Ink

Green-Eyed Ruben

February 28, 2013
By Diana Montoya BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Diana Montoya BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Impatiently I waited, not knowing what to expect from these strangers I was about to meet. A minute seemed like a century. I felt my heart pounding against my chest, beating faster and faster. As I sat in a homeless shelter for families in downtown phoenix, I couldn’t help remember what my friends and I had questioned. Would these homeless children’s appearances be like of those who I saw everyday asking for money by the freeway? Would they be nice or rude? Would they even want to speak to me? Mrs. Green, my interact club leader approached , my table and explained that the children would come in, pick up books, and pick one of us to read to them. I began feel excited, I had always been a fan of little kids. As I saw the doors open, my heart jumped.

As I saw children walk around I couldn’t help notice that they didn’t look different from any other child. As a few minutes went by I realized everyone was getting picked. When I heard a innocent voice say, “Can you read to me?" From the moment I laid eyes on him, I knew he was the cutest little child I had ever seen. His round big green eyes and chubby cheeks made him appear like an angel from heaven. As I pulled a chair for him, he asked if I could read him Finding Nemo. Throughout the book he pointed out how Nemo was a clown fish and how brave he had been to be away from his home. After reading we talked about his family and how he was the smallest at only six years of age. When it was time for him to leave, he climbed down his chair, picked up his books, and looked at me. He said, “My name is Ruben”. And so it hit me, I being the grown adult hadn’t even introduced myself and he had the manners to do it themselves. “Diana,” I stated. As he started to walk away I called him back, ask for a hug and if I could walk with him. He happily agreed. After we hugged, he grabbed my hand and we started to walk to the doors. Before leaving he told me thank you, but I explained to him that I was the one grateful to have met someone as special as him. Seeing him walk through the doors, I felt sad and amazed how fast I quickly got attached to this small boy. He and the rest of the children were nothing like I had imagined.

These homeless children were just as normal as the kids that have a home. I talked to one of the volunteers at the shelter, and what they told me made me not bias against the label “homeless”. These families were just going through hard times, some had lost their jobs. But as soon as they got back on their feet, they could start all over. Thinking back, when Ruben was describing how brave Nemo was brave and how much his father loved him. Not only was he describing Nemo he was also describing himself. Ruben was a strong smart little boy. He earned my respect and made me admire him. I will most likely never see Ruben again, but I will never forget him in my heart because he impacted me so much.