Biography of a Volunteer | Teen Ink

Biography of a Volunteer

By HazeyGirl13 GOLD, Lakeview, New York
HazeyGirl13 GOLD, Lakeview, New York

"One part angel, one part perfect, one part wreck" -Hunter Hayes, "Storm Warning"

Volunteering is the act of giving your time and service to a cause without payment. It can be done for a variety of reasons. Some volunteer to pass government class, some volunteer to give back near the holidays. Some people just do it to do it without reason. For me, volunteering is a way of life. It was how I grew up, and it defines me. My goal in life is to inspire others to give back in any way they can, not because they have to, but because they want to.

Being a volunteer runs in my family. My mom was president of the Pinehurst PTA, she spent a few years leading my girl scout troop, and she always worked for non-for-profit agencies, where yes she would be paid, but she would coordinate volunteers and still be helping others. My dad is the president of the board of the local Boys and Girls Club.

Some may be questioning why I’m discussing my parents, but if they had not been involved in these things, my life would be completely different. I started out my volunteering with Girl Scouts, leading arts and crafts, doing small things. I also would help my mom out at PTA events, helping give out food, or watching PTA members’ kids. I always thought of it as normal. Over the years, I’ve stepped up and now I help co-chair family nights with PTA members. It’s just so much fun! In fact, on Monday October 29th, we held the Pinehurst Monster Mash Bash. I was very fortunate to be allowed this experience, and the PTA members I worked with were so helpful and creative. I was also helped on the night of the event by 50 of my senior class peers. They helped carve 300 pumpkins, serve 37 sheet pizzas, and made the night very special to the elementary students. Even though it was stormy and cold, they came in costume and did a phenomenal job. It makes me so happy to know that not only did I have an impact on the lives of small children and their families, but this event let my classmates experience volunteering.

Three summers ago, I volunteered at the summer camp program at the Boys and Girls  Club where my dad did. I really enjoyed it, and the following 2 summers I was invited back to be a paid staff member. I have learned that hard work without an expected return can sometimes prove to adults and your community that you are dedicated and worthy of jobs and experiences. I encourage and challenge others to try and give back. You could donate blood. You could volunteer at a shelter, soup kitchen, hospital, nursing home, etc. You could get involved in the PTSA at the high school. There are so many different places that need help. I organized a pop can tab drive for the Ronald McDonald House last year. Anything where you are working knowing that you’re not getting paid and you aren’t expecting compensation will work.

My personal recommendation to you is to join a club or group that does community service. For example, join the service club or Students Against Destructive Decisions. Find a charity that you want to help out at, and then call them and ask them what they need help with. You could get your friends involved and make it even more fun. For me, I love knowing I can do something, and that we as a generation have control over something. Volunteering does so much for the community, but it does so much for you as an individual as well. It has gotten me jobs, it helps with my college applications, and it helped me pick a career. I want to plan fundraiser events for a hospital, or work for a company that is equivalent to Upstate New York Transplant Services, which I have worked with through SADD club for three years. We can all make a difference in the lives of so many. Even if you think you aren’t doing much, a little goes a long way. So, this holiday season and onwards, make a goal and take action to make a change in your community.

In my opinion, it is just as important to contribute many little local things than to just do one big thing. So maybe I didn't build hospitals overseas, but I know my actions are making a difference, so therefore I write this article in order to be an inspiration to many.