They Deserve Another Chance | Teen Ink

They Deserve Another Chance MAG

Unlike my father, I had a chance to grow up in California. I was only 6 months old when my family was homeless during our escape from Iran to the United States. Other than this, I personally have not had to deal with the problem of homelessness. But I do understand some of the emotional and physical problems that homelessness can inflict on its victims. Many homeless people are drug abusers, and an even greater number are mentally ill. I feel that they have not been treated fairly in life and deserve another chance.

Not long ago, I went with a group from the Baha'i Faith to help wrap Christmas and holiday gifts for homeless people living in a local winter shelter. All the clothing was donated by local companies.

Our main goal was to provide holiday gifts for homeless people in the area. By interacting with people at the shelter, I gained an understanding of my goal in life: to conquer homelessness in Marin County.

I have reached a point where I feel it's my duty to help fight homelessness. I am proud to support New Beginnings, a county program which is constructing and operating a new permanent homeless shelter and job-training center near me. This shelter will help many people start their lives again by providing them with clothing, food, shelter and job-training skills.

I know if I were homeless I would feel grateful for such a program. We must understand that the homeless are people, too. Many still don't quite understand this.

My father, family and I have found a wonderful home in Marin, and I know we can help homeless people find a home here, too. fl