Summer Camp | Teen Ink

Summer Camp MAG

You may look at community service as being somewhat of a pain. I'm not talking about the community service you are required to do if you're in trouble, but rather the community service you do out of the goodness of your heart. It still shocks me to think that being 16 with a new driver's license and a car, I spent four weeks of my summer dedicated to volunteering. I was a counselor at a day camp for children from the inner-city. As I look back I think - Wow, that was a big commitment - what was I thinking? I know exactly what I was thinking. It is very rewarding to know that you are making young children extremely happy.

Throughout the month of July, every weekday from 9: 00 a.m. until 3: 00 p.m. I volunteered at a camp for underprivileged children from the city. I knew I could be at the beach working on a tan with my friends, but instead I was being a leader to children who barely knew what it was like to have fun. Most had never even been in a swimming pool. The day camp was set up by our councilman at a local college. The children got to use the college facilities, as well as a playground outside. They did activities including swimming, computers, nature, art, math, and drama. They even took field trips to the zoo, science museum and an amusement park.

To me volunteering was truly a learning experience. It was amazing to see how well children of different races and ethnic cultures cooperated, shared, and cared for each other. I also learned how unselfish and compassionate children can be toward one another. This is what lured me into dedicating half of my summer to this program.

Community service is a very satisfying experience. It makes you feel good about yourself knowing that you are doing good for others. It is also a great learning experience. I would encourage everyone to serve their community in some way - you'll feel better about yourself. fl

lyfgram said...
A beautiful poem from a wonderful writer. Your soul shines through in your words.