3.5 Million | Teen Ink

3.5 Million

October 8, 2011
By Madeline PLATINUM, Lake View Terrace, California
Madeline PLATINUM, Lake View Terrace, California
46 articles 0 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you always see the positive, you'll never see the negative.


Did you know that 1 % of the American population is homeless? That's about 3.5 million people. Over 1 million childern sleep on the street or in shelters every night. About one quarter of the homeless living in cities are under the age of 18, making homeless children 39% of the homeless population in America. Adults between the ages of 31 and 50 make up the highest share. 51%. Single men make up about 40% and single women about 14%. About 40% of the men have served in the US armed forces. 11% of the homeless in uban areas are veteran of wars and armed conflicts.

The causes for homelessness vary:

1. The lack of affordable housing.

2. A national increse in poverty.

3. The lack of stable employment that pays a living wage.

4. The inability to pay for medical bills.

5. The inablity to qualify for public assistance.

6. Domesitc violence.

7. Mental illness.

8. Addictions.

Most people think that the homeless are lazy. In most cases this is not true. 13-25% of homeless men and women are employed, but as they don't have a physical adress, they can't get a good job. Most work at temporary labor agencies that offer low pay and long hours.


How many times have you passed a man on a street corner that maybe just needed a prayer? How many times have you dumped half a meal in the trash bin, when there are so many people in America alone, going hungry?

We take our homes, our beds, our clothes, and our food for granted, not even realizing that so many people don't have that.