Inspired | Teen Ink

Inspired MAG

By Anonymous

      Have you ever simply wanted to give without expecting anything in return? It’s hard to do. Most look for a reward in some way. I know I do, most of the time, but then an episode of “Oprah” inspired me. She gave everyone in the audience $1,000 to spend on a complete stranger, accompanied by a camcorder to record what they did with the money.

Two sisters from Georgia stood out in the crowd - they put their money together to give to My Sister’s House, a shelter that helps battered women and children. Not only did they combine their money, but they told everyone in their town about the organization. These women were amazed when their phones rang off the hook for a week with people wanting to donate money, baby clothing, and more. Not only did they complete Oprah’s challenge, they ended up raising $200,000 for the shelter!

This story gave me the chills. It made me realize how often I expect something and how rarely I give. I don’t have a thousand dollars to spend on a stranger, but I do have a heart that is full of love and generosity. Since I watched that episode, I have found myself being more open and giving. I hold doors for others and smile at people I don’t know because a smile is contagious. I try to bring as much happiness as I can into others’ lives. I know it may be difficult, but take the Oprah challenge into your community and spread your generosity. It really is rewarding.