Offering a hand... | Teen Ink

Offering a hand...

By D@rk@zn BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
D@rk@zn BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona

Cars screeching, doors creaking, foot steps booming as we marched into the front

door of Beatitude. The host and residents graciously welcomed us into their property

with open arms. They served us cinnamon sticks, cakes, and delicious hot cups of coffee.

When we scribbled our name on the sign in sheet, we made a commitment to serve and

beautify the community.

I got into groups of five, which included Emerson, Debre, Paul,

and Sally, and we hastily got to work. Coughing heavily, we patiently picked up scattered

garbage on the non-hygienic ground, filled with caution tape, cigarette butts, and plastic

dishes. The ground is littered with used and filthy rubbish which was carelessly tossed by

others. Minutes went by; our face was drenched with sweat while our body was heated

with work. We finally finished the job. Beatitude staff and residents are very thoughtful

and graceful. They offered us a hand when we were exhausted and water for refreshment.

After we cleaned up the unsanitary ground, we were dutied to sweep the street and

parking lot. As we swept the street, the wind gave multiple whistles which sprinkled

leaves all over the ground. Rapidly, we challenged the wind's might and regrouped the

leaves and discarded them. Backs bending, our spine was depleted in strength, however,

our work ethic kept us moving.

At midday, our job was to pick oranges. Branch

whipping, we playfully ripped the fruits from its trees. Bloop,bloop,bloop, oranges were

plumetting like raindrops during a heavy storm. We must pick up the colorful fruits and

put them in a recycled trash bad. Cleverly, Emerson suggested that we knock the oranges

down by tossing objects at them. Hooray, the plan worked and we swiftly finished our

task. Near the end of the service, my stomach roared like a wild bear and my lips were

chapped dry. Like a bolt of lightning, I felt the satisfaction of making a difference. I felt

appreciated from the back straining work that I have put in. Without a doubt, I absolutely

love the joy and feeling of helping and caring for the community. I came to the

realization that helping others does not always require money; it requires a heart and a

will to make a difference.