Horses Teach more than just Hope | Teen Ink

Horses Teach more than just Hope

August 30, 2009
By writerscramp PLATINUM, Green Bay, Wisconsin
writerscramp PLATINUM, Green Bay, Wisconsin
33 articles 0 photos 130 comments

Favorite Quote:
Anyone who says winning isn't everything,
Has won nothing.
``Mia Hamm


You may have read my previous post, Hope Has Four Legs, and if you haven't this is a sequel if you will to that one.

The last day of the summer, we had a horse show for all the kids who rode with us during the summer. It was so amazing to see those kid's eyes light up when they saw their trophies, and they each thought the horse on top was the horse they happened to be riding.

We were about to change "Classes" (grouped by how experienced, and what they were able to do.) to a trail (obstical course) and red light/green light class, and a little boy, about 9 years old, comes off the horse, and walks towards his head (the horses).

he reached up nad hugged that horse so tight and just said "Thank you, Masada. Your my bestest friend in the whole world" and walked away.

We (the volunteers) posed for silly pictures, and got lots of hugs.

If you ever want to do something along the lines of community service, volunteer with handicapped kids. I learned so much and it really made me grow as a person.

MY LESSONS
1. Attitude is everything. you need to go in positive, and the rest will figure itself out.
2. when in doubt, ask Tanner. He'll know. or convince you that he does
3. When the world thinks your different, smile in the mirror and get on with your life
4. Cognitively disabled people have many more valuable lessons to teach us than what we could ever possibly teach them
5. smiles are free. but only on tuesdays
6. kids love to dress up horses in hats, bows, and streamers.
7. you will form a bond with every single person you work with. nad that bond can never be broken... ... ...
ever.