A Smile, an Umbrella, and a Shivering Man | Teen Ink

A Smile, an Umbrella, and a Shivering Man

May 30, 2009
By soccerpsycho49 PLATINUM, Teaneck, New Jersey
soccerpsycho49 PLATINUM, Teaneck, New Jersey
37 articles 0 photos 31 comments

Favorite Quote:
Those who say that sunshine is happiness have never danced in the rain.


It had been one of those days. The rain poured down from the skies and the wind blew hard enough to knock down trees. And of course, with my infamous streak of bad luck, I missed my bus. It all seemed rather ominous.

I tried not to get upset. Why let the cruel world get its way? So I grabbed an umbrella and began on my way to school, a smile planted on my face. Although it had been storming, I tried my best to keep that smile there, right in between my dimples.

As I passed by Elm Street, the zipper to my bag came undone and all my homework fell out and blew into the stormy winds. I watched as the rain devoured my math assignment. It was beyond repair, so I just walked on past Elm Street, and made an effort to keep that smile there.

“At least I still have my umbrella.” I said to myself, thinking of something worth smiling about on this rainy morning.

As I rounded the corner to Palm Avenue, I saw a man huddled in a drenched sweater, shivering. He was an elderly man who seemed to have walked a long distance in this miserable weather. I glanced at the umbrella in my hands and back at the man.

“Here.” I handed to the umbrella to the man. I didn’t wait for a thank you nor did I stick around to allow the man to express his gratitude. I just kept on walking straight to school.

When I finally arrived at Franklin Middle School, I was drenched from head to toe, my backpack undone, my homework missing, but yet a smile still on my face. Except this time, I actually had a legitimate reason for that smile to be there.