The Dreaded Bus | Teen Ink

The Dreaded Bus MAG

By storyteller SILVER, Bedford, New Hampshire
storyteller SILVER, Bedford, New Hampshire

If you have ever ridden a school bus then you know that it sucks. If you are shocked to hear this, you are probably more popular than I am, which is okay; I don't care about status. I hate that other people do, though.

I sit in the middle of the bus, sometimes in the front. Really, it's wherever my friend happens to save me a seat. Everything is dandy until it's her stop. And then I am left alone, maybe reading a book or staring out the window.

Inevitably, somebody in the back starts to misbehave, and the driver yells the warning “If you don't stop, you'll have to sit in the front!” Quickly, the ruckus subsides, as if the threat of sitting in the front is terrifying. Yet I am sitting there willingly, still alone.

And then what I dread most happens. Somebody in the back is tickled or hit, and the driver stops the bus. He points at the rowdy student. “You! Come to the front! Sit right here until your stop.” He points at the empty seat next to me.

Everybody mocks him and says “Ooooh,” some laughing at his bad fortune. I take a breath and prepare for the worst, at the same time hoping for better. He heaves his backpack in the seat and sits down next to me, looking straight ahead.

“Hi,” I say. He scowls and scoots to the edge of the seat, talking to his friends down the aisle. I sit alone, rejected.

So, if you are a bus driver and happen to come across this article, you now know what a punishment should not be. If you are a troublemaker and are forced to sit next to someone you don't know on the bus, remember this article and try having a conversation with that person. If you are a student, like me, who sits in the front, at least you know you are not alone.

aidensawesome, Mauston, Wisconsin
I agree 100%, it happens to me alot.

SugaKookie said...
SugaKookie, Austin, Texas

"You got no jams" Namjoon

i am very sorry, that doesnt happen to me and i sit at the front, people should just stop being mean

Sparaxis GOLD said...
Sparaxis GOLD, Saint Marys, Georgia

"If you keep on picking on me, I'll mess up again. This time, on PURPOSE."

I've got bullied on a bus once.This one stupid girl started pulling at my hair and called me "Afro". Worst bus experience I've ever had.

mplo said...
I also knew kids who were oiten banished from the school bus altogether, when they acted up. It was pretty crazy.

mplo said...
I remember riding the school bus, particularly in elementary and middle school (or Junior High, as they called it back in the early-mid 1960's). It was almost always the rude, aggressive and boorish kids who'd sit in the back seat. The bus driver would invariably ask one or two miscreants to sit up in the front. One time, when two miscreants were called up to sit in the front seat by the bus driver, they had to sit in the same seat as a girl two years behind me in school. who was extremely unpopular, and got made fun of constantly. I felt kind of sorry for this girl, especially on that particular bus ride home.

Lysander PLATINUM, Bangalore, Other

I slay.

Yeah it actually sucks riding a school bus @storyteller , I sit in the front too..............

on Dec. 4 2013 at 8:45 am
TheUnspoken1 SILVER, Tecumseh, Nebraska

"It's hard to be a dimond in a rhinestone world." - Blood On The Dance Floor♥
" You can't judge me by my cover, it's not what you see but what you discover. " Blood On The Dance Floor♥
" Don't be afraid to stand out. " Britt Nicole♥

I sit in the back! But yet, I am not one of the loud, rude ones.

on Apr. 18 2013 at 9:37 am
ycd981110 SILVER, Noblesville, Indiana
I sit alone in the front of the bus everyday and read or do my homework on the way home. When a misbehaving student came to sit at the front, I mostly just ignore him or her and mind my own business. I find that keeping to yourself really helps.

Plume BRONZE said...
Plume BRONZE, Milano, Other
Wow !!! This is really good ! Well done, please checkout my work :)

live-love-laugh BRONZE, Asldkjfoi, Connecticut

"Happiness is learning to see beyond the imperfections"

Yes! that's exactly what i was going to say :-) i totally agree.

kindyxkandy BRONZE, Richmond, Virginia

"You have to suck before you get to success. It's about the journey."

I sit in the front of the bus, but thats just because no one else wants to. There's always enough seats for all of my friends and I, and someone always saves a seat for me and my boyfriend. We can sit up front and have fun, and talk to eachother, and even our bus driver. Don't think of sitting in the front as a bad thing, its fun :)

beautifulworld SILVER, Memphis, Tennessee

What's the point i wearing my favorite rocket ship underpants if no one asks to see them? -Calvin and Hobbes

I hate when teachers use less popular kids as a punishment.

lexrex95 BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

\"The world needs your beautiful light, so shine on!\"

Wow. I don't ride the bus, but I still feel bad for you, and everyone else like you.Very well written.