Bullying | Teen Ink

Bullying

May 20, 2014
By rebeccaa BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
rebeccaa BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Bullying

Today, almost three point two million students each year are victims of bullying (National Association of School Psychologists). Not many people these days are taking bullying seriously and trying to put a stop to it, so it has grown into a larger problem throughout the world and more people should stand up to help with this issue and to stop the numbers of bullying accidents from progressing. Bullying is one of the main causes of suicide from mostly children and teens. Large amounts of people are getting bullied every day and very few people try to stop it. Although bullying is considered wrong and unnecessary, the bully could be going through things at home or dealing with bullying as well.

Not many people these days are taking bullying seriously and trying to stop it. Over sixty-seven percent of students think that schools and teachers respond poorly to the acts of bullying with a high number of students that think adult help isn’t really helpful at all. Also, one in four teachers see nothing wrong with bullying and will only intervene four percent of the time (National Association of School Psychologists). This shows that people such as teachers and parents don’t take this seriously and they do not put enough effort to stop this. The school bullying statistics and cyber bullying statistics showed that students say their schools are not safe (a4kclub). This is showing that the schools are also not putting in the effort to make kids feel safe and unharmed in school and that they should take bullying or harassments more seriously. Bullying has been a big deal for a while now and it is getting to be an even bigger problem as this keeps happening.

Bullying has grown into a larger problem throughout the world and more people should stand up to help stop the numbers of bullying accidents from progressing. Studies show that seventy-one percent of students report accidents of bullying problems in school and that most students still have problems with bullying afterwards (National Association of School Psychologists). Showing that instead of the teachers and principals being the only ones trying to fix it, other students who witness the bullying happening should try to do something about it instead of watching it happen because the students were the ones that actually witnessed the bullying going on. Also when students take action, they should not do it in an angry way or a rude way because you are only adding more to the problem. You should approach peacefully and try to help the best way possible. Seventy-seven percent of students are bullied mentally, verbally, and physically. Cyber bullying statistics are rapidly approaching similar numbers, with forty-three percent experiencing cyber bullying (a4kclub). This shows that bullying is growing more into larger numbers of accidents today and it is increasing rapidly, we need to do whatever we can to prevent bullying. Also, school bullying and cyber bullying are increasingly viewed as an important contributor to youth violence, including homicide and suicide (a4kclub). This fact is showing that it is a big problem because bullying can lead to harsh crimes and violence. There are also other perspectives of bullying.

Although bullying is considered wrong and unnecessary, the bully could be going through things at home or dealing with bullying as well. Someone bullying another could also mean that the bully is being pressured to do things like that to be accepted by others. “Bully-victims” are students who can be both a bully and a victim. They often have been victimized and then begin inflicting the same behavior on others. Those who are both bully and victim are at a higher risk than either bullies or victims for depression, high-conflict relationships, substance abuse, hyperactive behavior, and school truancy (randomhistory). This shows that bullying is of course wrong but the person that’s bullying can just be going through hard times in their lives which is the main reason of bad behaviors. Fifty-four percent of students said witnessing physical abuse at home can lead to violence in school (mbnbd). This is showing that children who are bullies most likely also have an abusive life at home or elsewhere. Also, some kids have learned bullying from others (parents, brothers or sisters, friends).They have seen them getting their way by being angry or pushing other people around. They believe that by putting fear in you, they will have the best shot at everything in school or in your neighborhood (Eschooltoday ). This means that the bully would’ve most likely developed his behavior from others actions.

Bullying has grown into a problem throughout the world. Not many people these days are taking bullying as a serious manner and people should begin to stand up to stop the numbers of bullying accidents from getting larger. Ways to prevent being bullied or someone else being bullied can be to ask for help from someone you trust and tell them you are being bullied so they can take action and if they don’t take action just tell another person until you get the needed attention you need. Also, if you witness bullying happening you should first find the nearest adult and report a bullying accident but if that doesn’t work you should try to stop it yourself but in a calm matter. I hope that one day there will be fewer bullying reports, but for this to happen, we must all take action towards bullying.

a4kclub. n.d.
Eschooltoday . n.d. 16 may 2014.
mbnbd. n.d. 16 may 2014.
National Association of School Psychologists. DoSomething.org. n.d. 9 may 2014.
randomhistory. n.d.