The Savior | Teen Ink

The Savior

By Dominique Areola BRONZE, Round Lake, Illinois
Dominique Areola BRONZE, Round Lake, Illinois

Audrey was sickly: heart murmur, asthma, diabetes. And to add to all of that: depression and anxiety. She was mentally and socially abused her entire junior year of high school, and after a long day, she would return to a harmed home. Dad was an alcoholic, and mom was dealing with her own problems. All the issues of her parents were thrown onto Audrey, and the only thing she could do was take it all in. She had no one to lean on and, no one to trust. Friends left her because of her difficult past, and unfortunately, they were all she had. There were times where she was lost in her own thoughts. She constantly sat there staring at her cuts and bruises, and had no choice but to create more. That was the best way she could release her worries, anger, and sorrow. She was hopeless, absolutely hopeless. There was no good left in her life.

Her alarm went off; time to wake up. It was another day of hell. Audrey dreaded going to school every day. She had to prepare herself for what that day would bring, and it was a surprise each time. Was she going to get hit again? Tripped? Laughed at? How about being told she was a low-life? All of which was a possibility, but Audrey did not know what would happen. She got dressed and uneasily strolled out the door.

Before entering the school, books were knocked out of her hands. A group of boys laughed as Audrey hurried to pick them up. A girl, Sophie, followed behind and stared in gloom as she saw Audrey shuffling papers back into her textbooks. Sophie proceeded to walk. Audrey ran across the parking lot with her head hanging. As she scurried through the main entrance, students began calling out, “Accident Audrey!” That was her nickname. It has been since freshman year, but that name did not seem to faze her anymore. “Accident Audrey” was used more often than her real name. Nonetheless, she was used to it, so she grinned with sarcasm, trying to hide the pain she really felt, and gazed ahead.

Grabbing books out of her locker, the same group of boys walked by, shoving her into it. Sophie was a bystander; she stood across the hallway in fear. She was afraid that Audrey was going to get beaten on again. It’s happened numerous times in the past; it could happen again, but Audrey did nothing. She dangled her head as the boys pointed and laughed. As their voices began to eliminate, Audrey turned around with a sense of safety. Little did she know they were right on her shadow.

“Hey, Accident Audrey. How was your weekend?” questioned Drew, head of the boys. “Did your dad beat you with his belt again?”

“No,” replied Audrey as she covered her face with her folders.

“Wow, are those new glasses? Can I see them?” asked Drew. He stole Audrey’s glasses off her face, and threw them against the tile. With one stomp, they broke into pieces.

“HEY!” interfered Sophie as she pushed Drew away. She couldn’t stand watching Audrey get picked on any longer. “How about you take yourself, and all of your little friends, and find something better to do with your life? Just leave Audrey alone. She didn’t do anything to bother you.”

“Excuse me? Who are you, and why are you telling me what to do?” asked Drew in confusion.

“My name’s Sophie and I am Audrey’s friend. Now, I think you should back off before we get into more trouble here. Goodbye.” Drew and his posse hurried away to their next class.

Audrey was in complete disbelief. No one has ever stood up for her, so this moment was something new. “Oh, well thanks for that. You didn’t have to,” said Audrey, curious as to why Sophie helped her.
“It wasn’t a problem. I saw you get booked by the same boys in the parking lot, and I couldn’t believe they were picking on you for a second time. I wasn’t going to stand there for another minute without helping you,” explained Sophie. “It really wasn’t a problem. That’s what friends are for, right?”
“Yes,” replied Audrey in reassurance. She smiled from ear to ear. She never thought she would have this sense of appreciation and gratitude. Despite the past and the ruthless thoughts, she knew she had someone to lean on, someone she can call a friend. She was saved.

This story was, at first, about my best friend moving to Florida because of her health. There wasn't an interesting plot to the story, so my friend's asthma and past health conditions inspired me to write about a girl who is constantly bullied. Though my friend's everyday life is far from Audrey's, she was my inspiration.