Be the change | Teen Ink

Be the change

Bullies abuse the feeble and the outcasts; bullies are motivated to destroy whoever appears powerless and they will. One in seven students in grades k-12 is either a bully or a victim of this disgusting hobby. The power bullies have come through with little words just as easily as a dangerous hit. Walking through the crowded halls, we feel someone’s eyes scorning us, overhear someone making jokes, or calling us unnecessary names. People are not aware of the consequences that arise from victims of the bully or being the bully. Our teachers refuse to wrap their heads around the fact that they need to recognize bullying as an awful crime that needs to stop. I have been repeatedly bullied, I know what it is like to be in a bully’s shoe, and I witness it much too often. Bullying is a dreadful issue that not enough people take seriously.
“Sticks and stones may break our bones but words will never hurt me”. This saying, though very clever, is the slightest bit true. Words are the most wounding tactic a bully uses. Words crawl under the skin and sink in while bruises eventually heal. Called disgustingly fat daily, the girl starves herself. The boy called worthless considers ending his own life. Words are impactful and words will push a person “off the edge”.
Many teachers, parents, principals, and the bullies themselves are thoughtless of the affects bullying has on people. Sixteen hundred thousand children miss school every day due to fear of attack or intimidation. Not only absence from school but bullying can also cause many mental health issues; depression, suicidal tendencies, anxiety, stress, paranoia, etc. Many of these mental health issues lead to self-mutilation, suicide, emotional breakdowns, and revenge on the people that have hurt them with the estimation that students looking for revenge do 75% of all school shootings.
The way we handle the situation is very inattentive. Teachers do not take the matter as seriously as they should. “Bully” the documentary exhibited a principal who let horrifying incidents pass by. For example, getting his head slammed into a nail by a bully the principal examined the victims head and said these words exactly “I don’t see a hole, I bet you guys didn’t like that at all did you” and told the boy to go to class. That action in no way, shape, or form prevents issues similar to that from happening again. As a victim of bullying, a friend of mine talked to a teacher concerning the matter of the attacks and the teacher wrongfully told my friend that she did not believe her story and sent her on her way. That makes me wonder how many teachers let the issue slip through the cracks. For bullying to end, something needs to transpire. More videos, guest speakers, and assemblies based solely on the issue, anything that will be powerful enough to get it through our “thick heads” can prevent the problem.
No matter the form, bullying is not something we should encourage or express. Be the difference, the welcoming one to show the new kid around or be willing to comfort the boy or girl desperate in the corner. Everything starts with one and builds up. One helping hand, one smile and one hello can lead to the change our schools need. I will never stop fighting against bullying; enough is enough.

Bullying is an important issue that not enough people talk about and take seriously.