The silent girl | Teen Ink

The silent girl

Skinny as she was, she didn't deserve the pain she endured day after day. Even watching her hurt too much, imagine the situation she must be in. Sophie was a always silent, never one to start a conversation even continue one.
In my school bullying was known as a daily activity, a must even, for those who have it as a hobby. Sophie never did anything to attract their attention, she did The exact opposite making her the perfect target. From her bane and skin body and her limp clothing, she was the most vulnerable person in sight.
At first the bullying was mild, a few dollars now and then, but as they started getting comfortable, it got worse, much worse. She would always abide, of course, being too afraid to stand up for herself. The rest of us were to afraid of being the next target to help her.
I still remember the first day they laid they're hands on her. She was at her lockers and then the came, like a pack of wolves hungry for blood. A loud scream from them caught her attention, as she turned, a punch landed on her fragile cheek. None of us knew the reason behind their violence, but nobody tried to stop them, call a teacher or even stand and watch. We just went on our way, pretending to have never seen anything.
The next few days, she wasn't at school, but nobody bothered. I wanted to ask a teacher, but I was too afraid, too afraid to show that I cared. I knew where she lived, so I spent the whole time debating if i should go, to myself of course not letting anyone know my plans.
As I walked up the steps of her house, I could feel my heart beating. What was I afraid of? Afraid of what had happened to her? Afraid the same fate would befall me?
The door was answered by a short lady with a beautiful smile, though her eyes looked tired, her hair a mess. I asked her where Sophie was, the shock on her face surprised me. She let me in silently and led the way.
I wasn't prepared to see what I saw then. Sophie lay on the bed, tubes running up her fragile arms. Her face swollen, one eye closed shut. At first I thought the condition she was in was because of the blows she sustained the day before, but her mother later explained the whole truth.
Sophie had cancer. The therapy she was going through made her weak and tired, making her lethargic and seemingly silent. She never told anyone in school for fear of being pushed aside as the sick child. The pain they had caused her made her body to weak. She couldn't cope with the blows and had sustained major injuries to her head after falling unconscious. As she lay there, for quite a long time, nobody came to help. The teacher finally called an ambulance and brought her to the hospital. By then she was in a coma, doctors didn't know how long she would survive.
As she lay there motionless, I wondered about them. How come bad luck seemed to fall upon Sophie's family while they roamed free.
The girls who bullied Sophie never were caught, and continued to bully even after leaving school. Now, some of them are in prison while other roam the streets counting the days before the join their friend in lockup. Till this day, Sophie remains in a vegetative state. Her family is currently deciding whether to continue keeping her on life support or let her finally rest in peace. I have visited Sophie every week since my first visit. I somehow have bonded to her even if she never responded to me.
Bullies are always seen as big, muscular guys who pick on those younger. We must never forget that bullying happens everywhere, even in one gender schools. Girls can be just as dangerous as boys.