Teen Ink Bullying Essay | Teen Ink

Teen Ink Bullying Essay

May 24, 2012
By Gypsyrose7 BRONZE, Binghamton, New York
Gypsyrose7 BRONZE, Binghamton, New York
2 articles 0 photos 12 comments

If you ask a number of people the biggest problem among teens today, there is a good chance they would say bullying. And although it has been gaining more media attention, it is nothing new. People have always felt the false sense of authority to judge others and technology has made it easier for those opinions to be heard.
As teenagers today, we grow up with a need to feel perfect. If you log onto Facebook you will most likely see a competition to belong. Who has the coolest clothes, who has the most likes on a photo, who went to who’s party. People feel a need to be the best of the best and when they see others do it better they become insecure.

It is a fact that everybody struggles with insecurities one way or another through out their lifetime. Although it is more apparent in a high school hallway, absurd forms of bullying even happen at the lunch table of my grandmother’s nursing home. Insecurity is a part of human nature, however it is unexcitable for it to rule a person’s actions and hurt someone’s feelings.

While talking online, people tend to act braver as if the consequences of their actions won’t matter. But words are still words, and they can still hurt. I believe part of the reason why we have seen a rise of suicides due to bullying is because teens feel cornered. Before, students could escape bullies once school finished, but now problems follow them home through the internet.

Two months ago, on the website Tumblr, I talked to a girl I didn’t know who was suicidal. We messaged back and forth and eventually she agreed to get help. She mentioned that if suicide was a more open topic it would be easier for teens to discuss and seek treatment. It’s funny how we grow up in a world where nothing is perfect yet we try to make it appear that way.

The problem of bullying is not a simple fix. Although people do become more excepting over time, we need to remain realistic. No matter where you go, there will always be mean and judgmental people. There is no way around that. But if you surround yourself with the right people and learn to accept yourself for who you are, you can get through tough times. People need to stop placing such a high importance on what others think about them and worry about making themselves proud.
And lastly, social networking sites need to be used for their intended purpose, to connect with loved ones and share ideas. The internet is a powerful place, where your words can impact others. And after all if you have the opportunity to let your voice be heard, why not make it worth while?