Bullying | Teen Ink

Bullying

By Writer_Jordan GOLD, Ellicott City, Maryland
Writer_Jordan GOLD, Ellicott City, Maryland

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
From the ashes a fire shall be woken,
A light from the shadows shall spring;
Renewed shall be blade that was broken,
The crownless again shall be king.

It is important to recognize that you are not the only person affected by bullying. Bullying is a world-wide problem that has been addressed constantly in society today. But addressing the problem alone will not solve it—kids around the globe must band together and stand up to this common problem. Though it seems so simple when stated plainly on paper or in an article, the issue of bullying will not be solved in a few days. In fact, it may take decades to change the cycle. The first step to understanding bullying is understanding the cause. Some may question the motivations behind these harassers, who are either subtle or quite potent in their actions.

Insecurity is not the only cause of bullying. One common assumption is that a person who bullies does so to feel better about him or herself. Despite the fact that this assumption is widely accepted to be true, there are many other motives for a bully’s actions. I can relate to the thought process of a bully because once, I was the tormenter. It was elementary school and, for seemingly no apparent reason, a group of girls and I decided to target another. She was pretty and nice, and our group took advantage of that fact. We used subtle methods of bullying, including isolation, to make her feel undermined. The cause behind this treatment cannot be explained in the full. I, for one, fail to understand my past reasoning in this situation. Thus, immaturity and ignorance are the obvious culprits.

Ignorance is spread throughout families, communities, and even oneself. Ignorance is simply the lack of knowledge about certain parts of life that may seem more obvious to the common crowd. Racism, bias, and stereotypes are still prominent members of our society, though education helps to curve this trend. Beliefs from parents are often passed down to the children, though the children have no personal knowledge on the topic of interest. They simply accept what they hear and are told to be true, which is a major cause of ignorance and hate.

As you can see, it is clear that bullying is a complex topic that consists of many unique situations and circumstances. Ignorance, immaturity, and insecurity can all contribute to the spread of this constant harassment. As technology progresses, cyber bullying is also becoming a norm for young adults of all ages. It is our responsibility to stop bullying, and report it as soon as possible. The world can change, but we, as human beings, must start today.

For Nick Kristof's bullying contest