Speak Up | Teen Ink

Speak Up

By J1029 SILVER, Tampa, Florida
J1029 SILVER, Tampa, Florida

Sing like no one is listening,
Dance like no one is watching,
Love like you've never been hurt and
Live like it's heaven on earth.

- Mark Twain

Imagine, for every mean word you say to someone it leaves a scar on the outside of their skin instead of their insides. Everything you say can hurt people, even if they don't show it. The saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me." has no meaning at all. All the words, teasing, and pranks, will build up and eventually have even worse affects on everybody. Bullying can lead someone into depression and that can lead to suicidal thoughts. How would you feel about yourself if you know your the cause of someone's death? I feel very strongly about bullying, because I don't see the point in it. Is it to make the bully feel better about him/herself? Speak up for not only for yourself, but for other people. I know you may not what to be the "snitch" or the "tattletale" but you speaking up may be the victims only chance.

Bullying needs to be stopped, one person at a time.

harthur57 said...
I agree with everything written. Bullying is such a horrible thing and it needs to be stopped.

mplo said...
Both types of bullying leave emotional scars that a person carries for the rest of his/her life, or at least never forgets. Telling a victim of bullying "Well...you acted in a way that made it possible for those kids to abuse you." doesn't help one bit, either, because it depresses the victim(s) more, making them even more ripe for victimization in the future.

markelly said...
markelly,
The phrase “ Imagine, for every mean word you say to someone it leaves a scar on the outside of their skin instead of their insides. Everything you say can hurt people, even if they don’t show It.” is a beyond powerful line. I strongly agree with those lines because I too was once a victim of bullying and never told or showed anyone. I believe that people should consider what they say to others before they say it and take in consideration how they will affect that person because you never know what someone is going through and your just adding more hurt and sorrow in that person life, which can lead to the most unthinkable situation.

ShatteredHeArT SILVER, Americus, Georgia

LIFE offers us choices and forces us to live with the consequences of our decisions.

I truly feel that what you wrote has meaning

what you wrote is totally true.

J1029 SILVER said...
J1029 SILVER, Tampa, Florida

Sing like no one is listening,
Dance like no one is watching,
Love like you've never been hurt and
Live like it's heaven on earth.

- Mark Twain

I'm sorry that someone has said hurtful things to you. You should try to forgive them. Maybe they are going through something rough. Thanks for reading :)

LadyWisdom said...
"The phrase 'sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me' has no meaning at all." I totally agree with that. Sticks and stones can break your bones, but, those injuries will eventually heal. Words, on the other hand, if you use them the wrong way, can emotionally scar a human being for the rest of their life. I know I have heard and have been told some things that I will never forget....