Winter Girls | Teen Ink

Winter Girls

By EllaHowatt22 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
EllaHowatt22 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

As Emma walked in the bathroom tears fell from her eyelids as she saw her older sister cutting herself. In Wintergirls, by Laurie Halse Anderson.Lia, is a very lost teenager who struggled with an eating disorder ever since she and her dead friend Cassie, decided to have a competition for who was skinnier. Cassie gave up and decided to take lost of drugs and drink lots of alcohol and died. Cassie called Lia many times right before she died. At the time they were in a fight, this causes Lia to have lots of guilt because she might have been able to save Cassie's life. Lia was constantly fighting with herself trying to eat less and less every day. Her parents realized what she was doing and sent her to the hospital. At first, she didn't want to get better, but as the book goes on, she finally realized what's important in life.

This book took many turns. At first, the book was pretty slow and I wasn't liking it. As the plot went on I started to really enjoy it. The way Anderson wrote it made me want to read more and more because of the way she made me visualize the book. This wasn't a book I would particularly read, but Anderson made me have hope that Lia would get better and Lia would have a good life not worrying about what she eats constantly. I recommend this book to anyone older than twelve. Some of the book was graphic and if you're young it might not be the best to read.  I recommend any books by Anderson but especially Wintergirls.