Technology Takeover | Teen Ink

Technology Takeover

By McKenna.Bauer BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
McKenna.Bauer BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Technology Takeover

Imagine school classrooms in the next ten years. Our classrooms already have smart boards instead of chalkboards. What else could there be? Desks with built in screens, robotic teachers, the possibilities are endless! Technology is already catching up to us with schools now switching to tablets instead of text books. The latest and greatest isn't always the best option. Textbooks are still more reliable in classrooms for many reasons. Some main reasons include the cost, distractions, excuses, lack of internet connections, and children becoming too dependent on technology.

The first thing that customers look at before buying something is the price. On Amazon, the Kindle Fire costs $199. The Apple store says that the iPad costs $399. Compared to a textbook, which cost around $100, tablets seem pricey. Costs for e-textbooks on iPad tablets are 55% higher than new print textbooks in an average high school. According to Katie Flood from Wilfrid Laurier University, some e-textbooks can only be rented for 180 days. So e-textbooks are not necessary as cost effective as expected. As of 2012, only 30% of textbooks are available electronically. But it isn't just the price of the new tablet that customers have to worry about; they also have to think about if it breaks. “The cost of tablets and e-reader repairs is really high.” says Jamie Breneman, a contributor to the Savvy Shopper blog and NEW’S senior marketing director. I also agree that prices are too high! “For example, for a $400 tablet, you will need to pay at least $200 to repair the LCD screen, one of the most common issues. For a $120 e-reader, the least expensive problem to fix will cost upward of $100.” That is costing 50% to 100% of purchase price. Teens can be very careless with our electronics. As for a ripped page in a textbook, a little tape will fix the problem. The cost of everything isn't the only thing to look at to decide if tablets are better than textbooks.

When sitting in class, we all know that sometimes the teacher can ramble on, or sometimes the subject isn't interesting. If students have a tablet instead of a textbook, it is very easy to be playing on your device rather than doing your work. As a Kindle Fire owner, I know this is true! Tablets are distractions to teens. There are hundreds of free apps available that kids play on instead of reading their books. They spend time with apps more than paying attention in class. According to a Word Press survey, over 90% of people spent time playing apps during class. This is a hard habit to break. Another thing to think about is the distraction to other classmates. Now-a-days, with twitter, Skype, facebook, and other social networking, it is easy to talk to people during class without the teachers knowing. With these things, it is easier to get answers and cheat during class. I know that when I’m in class, I know that I should be paying attention, but instead I feel like playing Temple Run. Some students may not think that the distractions will bother them, but now there are many more excuses.

Every student can think of a list full of excuses to say if they forget to do their homework. If students forgot to bring their textbook, most teachers have extra textbooks stored in the classroom. Now with tablets, it is easier for students to come up with excuses. Students have new available excuses, including: “The tablet broke/ froze”, “I forgot the tablet at home so I can’t do my work at school today”, and “I couldn't find my charger.” Sometimes students wouldn't even need to make up the excuse about their tablets dying because most battery life of tablets last about seven hours, which is shorter than a day at school. Another problem people might have with their tablets at home would be the internet connection. Without internet connection, these devices would be worthless in the classrooms and at home.

Needing to have internet for doing homework would be a big problem for many people. At all schools, there would need to be connections in every classroom to be able to use the tablet. In my school, I know there isn't Wi-Fi in each classroom, which would be a problem if I needed to read my textbook. A 2012 survey said about 80% of K-12 schools reported broadband connections that were “inadequate to meet current needs.” If schools don't even have the internet connections, what about at every students home? When kids go home and need to finish homework, some do not have any internet at home. Some teens have to go to local libraries or friends’ houses just to read a chapter on their tablet. This causes problems for parents also. FCC Chairman Julius Genachowski says, “About a third of Americans- 100 million people do not have broadband internet at home. Textbooks do not need internet and can be read anywhere easily.

In today's world, everyone is becoming very dependent on technology and video games. Tablets in class do not teach children to look something up in a textbook or dictionary, but to use the internet to find their answers. Statistics have shown that 19% of kids ages 2-5 can use smart phone applications; by comparison, 9% can tie their own shoelace. More children ages 2-5 can open a web browser (25%) than can swim unaided (20%). This all shows that technology has been sneaking up on us all very fast. If children could use a dictionary as well as they can use technology, we would become a smarter world. Too many children are involved in technology and they forget there is a world around them.

There are many good opinions to form about tablets vs. textbooks at school. The cost, distractions, excuses, internet connections, and relying on technology are just a few examples. For right now, not every school is able to handle the complete switch to tablets. Textbooks are still more reliable and have worked for a very long time. Tablets will be awesome once we find a way to fix all the little problems, but that is in the future. I don't think that new technology is bad, but I think it isn't the right time to start using tablets in classrooms quite yet. We need to live in the moment and textbooks are still the way to go.