Who You Really Are | Teen Ink

Who You Really Are

October 22, 2010
By Psychic_Sky13 GOLD, York, Pennsylvania
Psychic_Sky13 GOLD, York, Pennsylvania
11 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Showing who you are and what you believe in is something everyone should do whenever they can. In everyday life, expressing yourself in the seemingly simple things you do, such as getting dressed, is harder than ever with the pressure to fit in with the popular crowd. Brands that have been increasingly popular with the younger generations have been advertising their products by having their customers act as walking billboards that can promote them without even trying. I believe in being myself, even when the rest of the world prefers to follow trends set by people's whose names are known world-wide.
In today's society, I've seen many people who thrive on the newest fashions and spend fortunes on getting "the best" clothing in the fashion industry. Even for teenagers, who have to go to school and so desperately wish to fit in, it's difficult to live because, if they have one article of clothing or an accessory that is deemed out of style by the popular cliques, they can be pushed down to the bottom of the school's popularity list. This occurrence is horrible for young adults, because being at the bottom is the end of the world.
At my school, most of the students wear one or more of four brands: Hollister, American Eagle, Abercrombie and Fitch, and Aeropostale. I am one of the few people who do not feel the need to shop at those stores, but instead embrace my individuality and shop wherever I wish to. I may have liked these stores if they weren't the only brands acceptable in popular groups. I don't feel the need to fit in with the popular people. If I have to wear certain brands to be accepted, I don't want to be friends with those who are that judgmental of the things I wear. If I need to wear a certain type of clothes to fit in, I'm not expressing myself. In a way, those popular people are trying to take the uniqueness out of their peers by telling them they have to wear specific things to fit in with them. Everyone should have the right to chose how they want to express themselves, not be told how they should act or dress.
In a world where all that matters is how well you fit in with others, how can anyone truly express themselves in any way they desire to? It's practically impossible to follow the upcoming trends and be yourself at the same time. For me, I try my best to do what I want to do, not what would be popular with "everyone" at the time. Although trends and fads come left and right everyday, being yourself is one thing I believe will always stay the same. It may be difficult, but it's better than being another clone of the popular people who are billboards for the big name companies. I believe in being myself, and I only hope that, someday, more people will agree with me.


The author's comments:
Well, I had to write this for class and my teacher thought it was good. Haha, so yeah. here it is. it's about one thing I believe.