A Break From Breathing | Teen Ink

A Break From Breathing

By OhSnapple GOLD, Concord, New Hampshire
OhSnapple GOLD, Concord, New Hampshire

“There is a higher power.”
“How can you be so sure?” She said through parted lips that suggested so much want, but at the same time, confusion.
“Think about now. Think about moments like this. These situations. The company you are with.” He looked out, and gestured with his hand at the landscape that lay before them.
“Just look at the landscape. Look at it’s beauty. If you think about it, compared to all this before us, we are just dots.” He said the words as if he was exhaling them. Breathing out the fresh air. The air that he loves. If love reflects euphoria.
“Dots?” Her innocence was breathtaking. He thought further, and found his answer.
“Think about all the things that take your breath away. I don’t know what that means to you, but to me it means the best moments of my life. Moments with you. It means your smile, your laugh, your hair, your smell. It means when the wind blows and at the same time a ray of sunlight wins a fight, and breaks through the trees, and both of those things hit you, and I look at you, and it‘s just…Ugh! It‘s just that feeling! Those times! And it’s at these times when I know why I live. I live for the times, those moments, when I take a break from breathing because there is just so many better things going on. This is just so hard to explain, but do you see what I mean?”
“I…I don’t know. You‘re not really answering my,”
“Honey, all these amazing things are happening to me. Just me! But what am I? I’m just one person. All these things, these moments, this view! These are great, wonderful, amazing things! But what am I? One person! One dot! To think that everything I have, everything I get to see, and feel, and do, is just one dot. And to think that the world is full of billions of dots, billions of people who are all experiencing amazing things just like I am, is just crazy”
“But that doesn’t explain why there has to be a God?” She smiled, and nudged him, obviously trying to lighten the mood.
It didn’t work. He turned to face her. Adjusting himself on the blanket that they had laid out on a hill overlooking the mountains. “But Honey, it does. And I’m not saying there is a God, I’m saying that there is a higher power, something bigger than you or me. Something that is in charge of all the happy things in my life, your life, and everybody’s in the world. I’m just saying that there is something, I’m not saying it’s a person, maybe it’s just an essence, but something that is in charge of all those moments that take my breath away.”

I wrote this piece for all the people who question that there is a God. I feel that in todays society, less people believe that there is a higher power. THis is my view.

JeanGrey GOLD said...
JeanGrey GOLD, Mason City, Iowa

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."-Oscar Wilde

*claps* Amazing! Breath-taking! Spectacular!!!

ZebraWithoutStripes ELITE, Blue Springs, Missouri

To make a difference in the world, you have to be different from the world.

i do believe in God. i like how you described those special moments. i love to think of how he makes them each personally for us "dots" :)

Venus_Queen said...
hey, Nick, i didnt mean to stop talking to ya! :{ i just hit my 200 thingy where you can only post 200 times a day :{ so yeah...sorry.....

Venus_Queen said...
This is really good. i loved it! :}