Anime and Manga – A Beginner’s Guide | Teen Ink

Anime and Manga – A Beginner’s Guide

July 9, 2024
By KaviKaller BRONZE, Pleasantville, New York
KaviKaller BRONZE, Pleasantville, New York
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Anime and manga are global phenomena that bring millions of people together. While these art forms have grown exponentially in popularity, many are still unaware of them and the benefits of getting engaged. Anime refers to Japanese style animation, whereas manga is the graphic novel counterpart. Similar to how many Marvel TV series and films have been adapted from comic books, many anime series are adapted from manga series. Despite its foreign origin, anime and manga are more globally prevalent than you may realize.  For example, Pokémon is one of the biggest franchises in the world and it was the anime series that sparked interest in the games and merchandise for many and helped grow this franchise.  Other popular anime series have included Yu-Gi-Oh, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece, which was recently converted into a live action series that hit the top of the Netflix charts.  In this article, I will share the benefits I have experienced and provide some basic information to help you get started on your own anime and manga journey.

As president of my high school’s Anime and Manga Club, I am passionate about creating a vibrant welcoming environment that sparks discussions. Through this, I have witnessed the power of anime and manga to create long lasting connections between club members. As they engage in discussions about their favorite series and characters, friendships grow through this shared interest.  I have also engaged with my family about anime and manga, which has helped us develop closer bonds.  I introduced my brother to anime, and we watched various series together, including Hunter x Hunter and JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, making us closer as we talk about the shows.  This has also sparked an interest in reading manga for my brother, as he explores series, such as Persona 5.  I also enjoy discussing the psychological aspects of series with my mother, such as Classroom of the Elite, an anime about a high school where students manipulate each other to rise to the top. Furthermore, we enjoyed watching the new live action adaptation of Eiichiro Oda’s manga, One Piece, on Netflix. In addition to helping build and develop relationships, I have also found anime and manga to be inspirational.  For example, after reading the manga and watching the anime of the new hit series Bocchi the Rock!, I was inspired to begin playing in a band, similar to the protagonist of the series.  Through anime and manga, I have formed closer bonds with my friends and family, facilitated new friendships, and been inspired and entertained.

Anime and manga have a wide variety of genres, which can make it difficult to know where to start.  I have provided a guide to the genres and some helpful links to help you begin your journey.

What are the main genres of anime and manga?

Although anime and manga have a multitude of genres, they can be divided into 5 different categories:

·       Kodomomuke

·       Shonen or Shounen

·       Seinen

·       Shojo or Shoujo

·       Josei

I have captured below short descriptions and target audiences.  However, it should be noted than many of these genres can be enjoyed by different age groups based on maturity levels and different gender groups based on personal interests.

Kodomomuke

Kodomomuke, often shortened to Kodomo, is a genre of anime and manga which is aimed at young children, usually younger than 10 years old. This genre is typically enjoyed by both boys and girls as they tend to be more gender neutral than shounen and shoujo. Some notable anime series in this genre are Doraemon, Molang, Hamtaro, Yo-Kai Watch, Beyblade, Sonic X, Digimon, Pokémon, and Studio Ghibli movies. Most of these anime incorporate positive themes such as friendship, kindness, and other life lessons.

Shounen

Shounen, also known as Shonen, is a genre of anime and manga typically aimed towards young boys from 12 – 18 years old, although girls may enjoy this genre as well. Shounen is arguably the most famous anime genre, with many of the most popular series being Shounen anime. Some notable anime series in this genre are One Piece, Dragon Ball, Naruto, Bleach, Hunter x Hunter, JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, My Hero Academia, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, and Inuyasha. Shounen anime often incorporate themes of friendship and family while also including more mature topics such as death and loneliness.

Shoujo

Shoujo, or Shojo, is a genre of anime typically aimed towards young girls from 12 – 18 years old, like how Shounen anime is aimed towards young boys. Shoujo anime often includes themes such as romance, drama, and comedy with most Shoujo anime being light-hearted, and cheerful. Some notable anime series in this genre are Fruits Basket, Ouran High School Host Club, Your Lie in April, Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Natsume’s Book of Friends, Blue Spring Ride, School Babysitter, and Yona of the Dawn. Sub genres of Shoujo anime can include Yaoi and Yuri, romance between boys and romance between girls respectively.

Seinen

Seinen is much more complex than shonen and tackles many adult themes.  Seinen is a genre of anime and manga typically aimed towards adult men. The series in this genre typically have topics that are psychological, erotic, or horror in nature and may contain gore, although there are also elements of comedy and romance. Some notable anime series in this genre are Monster, Vinland Saga, One Punch Man, Code Geass, Made in Abyss, Goblin Slayer, Berserk 1997, Tokyo Ghoul, and Classroom of the Elite. While Seinen anime contains more mature topics and is aimed towards adult men, depending on the individual, it can be watched at younger ages.

Josei

Josei is to Shoujo like Seinen is to Shounen, by which I mean Josei is aimed at adult women and contains more serious and mature topics. Some notable anime series in this genre are Nana, Yuri!!! On Ice, Usagi Drop, No. 6, Polar Bear Cafe, and Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju. Josei anime often revolve around relationships, romance, and slice of life.

How you can check what anime is appropriate?

As anime and manga are so diverse in the ages that enjoy them, you may want to research anime before diving in.

Here are some great resources for understanding the content in specific anime:

·       Common Sense Media - commonsensemedia.org/

·       IMDb - imdb.com/

Here are some lists of anime for younger ages:

·       Appropriate Anime Shows For Kids And Young Teenagers - animemotivation.com/appropriate-anime-shows-for-kids-and-teens/

·       12 Things Parents and Educators Should Know About Manga - readbrightly.com/things-parents-and-educators-should-know-about-manga/

·       Best Anime to Watch With Your Kids - 9tailedkitsune.com/15-best-anime-to-watch-with-your-kids/

·       Best Anime for Children and Adults - liveabout.com/best-anime-for-all-ages-145150


The author's comments:

My name is Kavi Kaller, and I am an incoming senior in high school and President of my school's Anime and Manga Club.  


Anime and manga have become more mainstream in recent years and from speaking with my peers, many teens are not familiar with this art form. I have written an article to share the benefits that I have experienced and provide some basic information to help teens familiarize themselves with anime and manga. From my experience, anime and manga can help facilitate social interactions and can be a great source for bonding.