Trauma | Teen Ink

Trauma

March 3, 2022
By addieisnot-100 BRONZE, Webb City, Missouri
addieisnot-100 BRONZE, Webb City, Missouri
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Almost all people carry a form of trauma, whether it is life-altering or not, we all experience it differently and through many situations. Most of the human population believes that trauma is bad, and it means you are broken or that you need help. But in reality, it’s not negative nor positive. It is something people and other living beings experience at least once in their lifetime.

Trauma is defined as any situation that causes the victim to be deeply disturbed or distressed. People face hardships throughout their lives, many of which can leave a crater in someone's mind. Trauma is when she was hit by her father and grew up to be a young submissive woman. She now believes that there are negative consequences for being bold or speaking her mind like the other women in her place of work, she is only one of many classic examples of trauma. A second would be when a man held his dying wife in his hands and is now uneasy with being in close relationships with others. Trauma is when they got in a car accident at the age of ten, losing their father, and now in fear of sitting behind the wheel at seven-teen.

Those are extreme cases that involve healing, they require a helping hand in order to grow comfortable. But they are not broken people, they just have character. As much as they probably hate to admit it, those life-altering, traumatic experiences create a new part of them. They aren’t bad, they aren’t negative, it’s just life. It’s them. If they wish to outgrow the fear of driving, or the fear of losing another lover, or the fear of being hit once more by someone, they will have to look to a counselor for guidance. Counseling isn’t bad, it’s not negative, and it isn’t fixing a broken person. People who go to counseling for trauma aren’t in any way broken, they just need a little extra help.