Current High School Fashion | Teen Ink

 Current High School Fashion

January 24, 2022
By Anthony_Traficant BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Anthony_Traficant BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Wearing clothes is a part of our everyday lives. Trends usually persuade everyone to follow each other. Different time periods wore different clothes but what is the current high school fashion trend? 

What you wear can really define you, whether it's good or bad. Fashion is turning more and more diverse as different trends become a thing and more people express themselves. But high school fashion is different. It changes from decade to decade but almost everyone wears the same clothes. Guys always wear running shorts and a tee shirt during hotter weather. Then they switch to sweatpants and a hoodie when it gets cold. The shoes go from slides or sneakers to comfy slippers and sneakers. Guys' hair can differ a little but most have longer, more styled hair that flops around on their heads. The girls also don’t have much diversity when it comes to fashion either. They all wear crop tops and short shorts in the summer and either sweatpants and a hoodie, or leggings and a hoodie in the winter. They all wear sneakers year round. They can also wear slippers and sometimes comfy boots in the winter, like Uggs. Girls' hair is almost always long and straight with blonde highlights. Some just stick with their hair color but the style is the same.

This isn’t just our generation either. The past generations all wore the same things as each other, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Although having diverse fashions will help you to stand out and show that you're different, it can also do the opposite. It can make you feel alone and people can make fun of you for being different. It also might not be cool or make you look good in other people’s eyes. Some examples that are out of the “norm” would be a guy wearing leather pants and a button down shirt with a mullet. For a girl it would be wearing a corset outside of a dress with pink hair. Some extreme trends would be what emo people wear. Emos have the most prevalent forms of unusual clothing that ranges depending on the person. All of the emos dye their hair black. If not, pink, purple, or blue are the other most common colors.

What do you think, should we be more accepting or should we all keep the same herd mentality? I really think that students should be more diverse with what they wear. So many students that want to wear something different than what everyone else is wearing can’t because of peer pressure. I think people should be more accepting and not outcast others who try to be different. People don’t like “different” because it makes them feel like they are being repressed. If people were more accepting then I think a lot more students would be wearing different things inside and outside of school. 

Personally, I just wear the same thing that most guys wear because it's comfortable and doesn’t restrict movement. If I wanted to change my look and maybe be more stylish then I would wear something different, like khakis and a nice sweater. The reason I don’t is because I want to be really comfortable in school, otherwise I might not work to my full potential.