Minecraft Video Game Review | Teen Ink

Minecraft Video Game Review

By MayaWong BRONZE, New York, New York
MayaWong BRONZE, New York, New York

Minecraft Video Game Review

You hold your breath as your newest world loads up. What beautiful biome could be randomly generated for you this time? You get your first glimpse of the land that you’ll be living off of. The familiar blocky graphics bring back memories of your childhood. It reminds you of your journey through this universe full of adventure and fantasy, and experiencing all that Minecraft has to offer. Minecraft is a sandbox game, which means it allows the player to do most, if not everything, they want to do. It was developed by Markus Persson, otherwise known as Notch. He was the game’s lead designer until he left Mojang and gave this role to Jens Bergensten. Ever since it was released on November 18th, 2011, Minecraft has grown into one of the most famous games in the world and has been a major part of millions of peoples’ childhoods.

Minecraft seems like a game meant for small children, but actually, it is not meant for a certain age group. Whether one is building a city in creative mode or fighting to stay alive in survival mode, Minecraft is fun. This is one of its best features, because it allows you to see two different ways of experiencing worlds. You can feel the pride in hard work by building your house from scratch and hunting for food in survival while also being able to see the joys of flying around and exploring all of the stunning and wacky biomes. In survival, you are given the responsibilities of killing animals for food, mining underground for useful materials such as stone, coal and diamonds, hacking at trees with axes to get wood, building your own house and fighting off monsters. In creative, you are given the ability to fly, break blocks with one click, and produce anything that you need from your inventory with infinite materials. With its easy WASD controls on PC, joystick and button controls on console and swiping and tapping controls on mobile, anyone can play Minecraft. You can also experiment with architecture. The game has become known for people’s amazing creations. Many players build beautiful spaces that sometimes even look like real cities. Some build models of real buildings such as the Empire State Building and the One World Trade Center while others create original structures made of blocks from glass to obsidian. They work with lighting, using glowing blocks such as sea lanterns and glowstone, and can also continue their strategy with block placement and functionality within buildings.

Many people can recognize Minecraft by its iconic blocky graphics. Everything is made to look pixelated and cubic. Although this may not sound realistic and detailed, the graphics are what makes Minecraft unique. The sound effects are also part of what makes this game so funny. The well known sounds of the player walking on different materials and the grunting of getting hurt make the game seem more like real life. There are also starter “skins,” or player outfits, that make the game unique. There are two starter skins. One is Steve, who has a blue shirt, pants, and eyes. He has brown hair and a beard. The other one is Alex, who is believed to be a girl. Alex has orange hair, a green shirt and eyes, black boots and brown pants. You can also customize your own skins using an app called Skinseed. This helps make each person different.

One of the many things that makes Minecraft so amazing is its soundtrack. Not many people stop to listen to the music while playing the game, but if they did, they would be stunned. Minecraft’s soundtrack is phenomenal, despite the silly aura of the game. All of the songs have major feelings of nostalgia mixed into them. The music makes the game much more peaceful and beautiful. Listening to it reminds me of all the time I spent making all of my worlds into comfortable homes and it helps me to relax. The soundtrack enhances the game and will soothe anyone.

Minecraft also has a ton of easter eggs and hidden features. These make the game a lot more fun and interesting. For example, if you name a sheep of any color “jeb_”, it turns it into a rainbow sheep that shifts through all of the colors of the rainbow continuously. Another easter egg is that if you dye two sheep colors that can combine into another color, you can have them mate and they will produce that color of sheep (for example if you mate a red and yellow sheep, you’ll get an orange sheep). An example of a hidden feature is that you can make a water elevator using sand, kelp, a magma block and soul sand. These features make the game be more exciting and surprising and help the player have a more adventurous experience with Minecraft.

All in all, Minecraft is one of the best games that people are able to experience. I’ve been playing it since I was a little kid, and it hasn’t ever gotten old since then. I like to think that each world is like a time capsule, because when you open one of them after a really long time, you look around at all of the things that you did years ago and remember all of the hard work you put into each and every home, city, or structure. This game fills me with nostalgia and happiness. I am certain that Minecraft will live on in the hearts of millions of people, and play an important role in the childhood of generations to come.

This is a piece about a game that I have been playing since I was little, and I hope anyone who reads this enjoys it!