Argumentative Essay on Music | Teen Ink

Argumentative Essay on Music

By MattLib4 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
MattLib4 BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Music has beneficial physiological effects that should be used to its potential. A great proportion of our society has been abducted by it’s greatness. Music has been apart of many generations and will stay that way. Many believe that music just provides society another reason to be anti-social and isolated with it’s easy access from technology. While it is debatable, the potential for the benefits it can bring should not be ignored.

Society already promotes music greatly and for good reason. “Studies show that listening to music can benefit overall well-being, help regulate emotions […]” (Pfizer Medical Team, 4). By appealing to your emotions music has already shown the effect it can bring to your brain and greatly benefit one’s self. “Listening to ‘relaxing’ music has been shown to reduce stress […]” (Pfizer Medical Team, 5). A trouble many people experience consistently in their life has shown to have a solution that is music, which further proves the point of it being beneficial. “One study found that playing more upbeat music led to improvements in processing speed while boy upbeat and downbeat music led to benefits in memory” (Cherry, 6). This conveys the different aspects for each type of music and what makes it unique and beneficial.
Music can just help you feel physiologically better and improve your view of life. “According to one study, people who are at low-lit restaurants where soft music was played consumed 18 percent less food than those who ate in other restaurants” (Cherry, 12). You can depict a very beneficial solution from this to a huge problem many people in society continue to struggle against and lack improvement. “If I didn’t have music, I don’t know if I could ever truly be happy” (Armstrong, 68). Music has made huge impacts in so many life’s that it’s hard to argue that it can’t benefit you physiologically in some way. “These are (music) notes. One can read them like numbers in a math book. […]”(Armstrong, 91). The connectivity it has in relation to math shows the brain development ability to be able to recognize situations that correlate and overall this benefits the brain development.

Many people argue that music just allows another reason to just be anti-social and hence ruining society. This is very debatable and may even be correct, but that still doesn’t exclude the benefits it brings to the table. Even if the negative was true and entirely factual, it still wouldn’t outweigh the positives like regulation of emotions. This is a societal problem that many face and can be solved by music with the worst case scenario being increase of the worsening of another societal problem.

With the many struggles society hasn’t been able to cope with leads to the idea of music benefitting situations like this. While not all music may come with benefits or be ideal for every situation, the variations in style cover most/if not all physiological needs. With the positives music bring, it should not be considered non-beneficial physiologically since clearly helps many in some way. Overall, music still has a lot of potential and should not be overshadowed and underrated by what it can’t do.