Meme Banning in the EU | Teen Ink

Meme Banning in the EU

By Lerrou BRONZE, Madison, Wisconsin
Lerrou BRONZE, Madison, Wisconsin

The EU has passed 2 new articles (Articles 11 and 13) where all technology platforms must check everything on their app, website or etc for anything that may contain any sort of copyright. This will be bad for the European Union and make the decision they made unpopular among people in the EU today and will most likely make memes become a thing of the past or a way less popular thing among the people in EU.

First off, this means that most memes that contain pictures or videos from movies, shows, songs and some videos online are now off limits to people who create memes which can cause a dilema for users because using these pictures and videos is their main source of entertainment and also their main source when it comes to making these memes for others to enjoy.

Secondly I believe that this is a bad decision by the European Union because memes are beloved worldwide and memes are one of the biggest things to ever happen to the internet, now that memes are more restricted less people will use them and it will make the internet less fun for some people and make meme as an entertainment will be lessened due to this, among most people online they don’t like this article being passed.

Finally I believe that memes in our society can bring us together, can bring something that everyone can enjoy to some level, it can be the connection between us, it can be the connection to bring strangers and friends alike, as a society we can bond over memes, proof of this can be found by literally going online and looking at the likes, positive comments and amounts of shares and reposts from other people, and this new article hurts the chances of this happening.

Overall memes being banned due to articles 11 and 13 will bring the popularity of them way down and this makes the internet was less fun and way more dull and will break people away from each other of which memes brought them together and will make social media less popular humor wise.