Good Day Gone Bad | Teen Ink

Good Day Gone Bad

February 9, 2009
By xlacrossex22 GOLD, Glenshaw, Pennsylvania
xlacrossex22 GOLD, Glenshaw, Pennsylvania
12 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I laugh, I love, I hope, I try, I hurt, I need, I fear, I cry. And I know you do the same things too, So we're really not that different, me and you.” ~Colin Raye~


'The day was dark and eerie. I should have just stayed in bed and never called Anna. I knew the day was going to be dreadful. Maybe if I hadn't tried making such a depressing day exciting she would still be here.

Anna was still getting over her father's death and was extremely upset. As her best friend, I desperately wanted her to be happy again. I called her around noon and told her we were going to have a girl's day out and that I would pick her up in an hour. She seemed just as excited as I was. We started our 'girl's day out' by shopping downtown. Anna found the cutest top. The shirt was a thin white, sort of translucent, with a quaint flower pattern covering it. Anna wanted to get a manicure so we leisurely walked to our favorite nail salon, California Nails. There we laughed and talked, reminiscing about good times.
When we were done shopping and getting our nails done it was about six o'clock. Anna and I put all of our shopping bags in my car and decided to go see a movie. While our moods were growing brighter the day was growing more and more sinister. Then Anna spotted a photo booth. We got into the booth and had best time of our lives, smiling, laughing, and taking silly snapshots. The machine only printed one copy of the photographs, so I gave them to Anna. Anna loved those pictures. She told me she was going to hang them up in the middle of her apartment as soon as she got home. She made it seem like the pictures were made of precious gold. I just smiled at her. All that mattered was that Anna was happy again. And she was. I hadn't seen her smile so much in a very long time.
When the movie was over Anna and I were starving. We drove to a local Italian caf' to get something to eat. We sat down at a table by the window. As I was looking at the menu Anna was gravely staring out of the window and into the darkness. Now that I look back, that was when Anna mood changed dramatically. She became restless and very irritable. Suddenly, she announced that she wasn't hungry and wanted to go home right away. She stood up and stormed out the caf' doors, leaving her coat, purse, and her precious pictures behind. Before I could even begin to follow her I heard three gunshots, one right after another. Then I heard a body fall to the ground. I rushed out the doors to see if Anna was okay. But she wasn't. Her lifeless body lay at my feet on the cold blood covered ground. I screamed, and a crowd from the caf' hurried around me. Someone called 911, but it was too late. Anna was gone, and I couldn't do anything about it.'
I looked up at the police officer I was retelling my story to, with tears overflowing my eyes. 'And that's it. That's how Anna died, I don't know who killed her or why, but when she was staring out the window of the caf', right before she left, Anna wasn't herself. I have never seen her look at something, or someone with such hatred. Anna just never had it in her to be hatful.' Officer Glover slowly shuffled through some papers and met my impenetrable gaze. 'Thank you Stacy. I know that telling me this must be very difficult for you. Now, I cannot promise you that I will find Anna's killer, but I can promise you that I will do everything in my power to try.' I choked back tears and thanked him, then staggered out of Officer Glover's office. I couldn't help but to breathe a sigh of relief when I was finally by myself outside of the police station. I sat down on a bench a couple of blocks away from the station and opened my purse. I pulled out the pictures Anna and I took at the movie theater the night that she died and began to cry. I was too lost in my weeping to notice a figure creeping up behind me. Before I knew what was happening a strong hand was covering my mouth and a gun held firmly against my head. 'Now, now Stacy don't worry,' a man, said in a deep, soothing voice. 'You'll be with Anna soon enough.'


The author's comments:
This piece was an assignment for school. My teacher gave everyone a picture cut out of a magazine and just told us to have fun with it, so I did. (my pictue was of two young women in a photo booth) Hope you like it! Feedback would be grately apreciated!