Finding Her Fortune | Teen Ink

Finding Her Fortune

By youngv4 BRONZE, Sterling, Connecticut
youngv4 BRONZE, Sterling, Connecticut

“I beg you, please tell me!” Kathy cried while she trembled with tension and uneasiness. Her heart was beating anxiously as the fortune teller looked about the florid room, engrossed in a deep, substantial thought. The room always had a spooky feeling to it, and with one window it seemed always to be dark. His rainbow-colored attire and crystal ball provided the most light of all, but even now darkened in shade.
Kathy regularly visited the fortune teller. She knew he was not always correct, yet she felt the need to plan her life out the best she could.“ Well,” the fortune teller blurted, “ It's not a worry to you. It's your closest friend who is in great danger.” “ Laura,” thought Kathy, stiff as a corpse, “ it has to be her.” Kathy's eyes were locked upon the fortune tellers bright green eyes, with a mysterious purple lining that touched her insides. She tried to settle her inflexible bones, pondering the thought that maybe he was wrong.“ Sir,” she babbled, “ h- how do I know this is the precise truth? Y- you never swear it's exactly what you say.” Rising from a minutes stare with the crystal ball, the fortune teller's eyes met Kathy’s, his iris illuminating into to a sudden glow, before returning to their normal state. “ I guarantee it,” the fortune teller promised. “ I must go,” Kathy decided, hastily grabbing her purse and putting on her large, brown winter coat and gloves. She swiftly moved through the obstacle that was the room, full of boxes, and objects of all sorts which she could not make out. As she went through the orange and gray square beaded doorway, she whirled around to see the fortune teller holding up his finger as spoke, “ Watch out for your friend. Remember..that's great danger sure to happen.”
The winter snowfall on the city streets gave it a beautiful glow, however, the gray sky unexpectedly opened up. As Kathy opened the ice coated door handle to her car, she knew that Laura must be informed right away.
Upon arrival, she rushed abruptly up the stairs and to Laura's apartment. “ It's me, Kathy. Open up...quick,” she hollered with a tone of anxiousness and great concern. The wood grained door with black thin lines swerved in each direction. The smell of pine and lovely Christmas wonder filled the air. As the door began to open, even more, christmas cheer spilled out as Kathy saw the wonderful Christmas tree covered in the most intricate patterned ornaments and delicate figures.
“ Hey!” Laura chirped,“ you sound awfully worried. What's wrong?” Laura observed Kathy's stress covered eyes and shakiness that quickly changed the emotions of the room.“ Laura, you have no idea what's coming your way,” Kathy confessed.
Laura looked at Kathy's blue snowflake nails shaking with fright. Laura glanced over Kathy's face, raising one of her eyebrows as if it was a silly joke .“ You are one silly girl Kathy, I was worried for a second there!” Laura laughed. Kathy expressed a blank face as she peered straight ahead, out the window, and into the city. Laura was startled as Kathy put up a hand to restrict her from going out the door. “ Laura,” Kathy demanded, “ this time I'm not joking.”
Something about the fortune teller’s reading seemed quite odd to Laura’s gut. On the other hand, Kathy was awfully convincing, explaining that, “ You need to trust me on this one.” All Laura wanted was to have a happy life, and she supposed that there was no harm in caution.
“ Ok, what can we possibly do to prevent me from having a bad fortune?” Laura asked. While Kathy spoke Laura realized just how dangerous a ‘bad fortune’ can be.
“Hopefully staying in a hotel tonight will work to prevent anything bad,” Laura announced, watching Kathy exit the door. Fiddling with her fingers as her heart was struck with an excruciating pain, the small hand on the clock struck ten. Laura began to pack her clothes, yet with each article of clothing Laura placed in her suitcase, her uneasiness increased. Her vision became blurry as the fawn colored walls trimmed with white millwork came closer and closer to her. She felt like she was on top of the city as the large window approached her body with each growing minute. The warm, cream shaded lights dimmed in shade as an image of a siren became more prominent in the movie that was her eyelid. Her fair colored cheeks, long brown hair, and long elegant eyelashes hit the soft, red and white comforter beside her suitcase. Gently and tenderly did her eyes close into the most satisfying yet unsettling sleep of her life.
    A strange man rapidly approached her, yelling words she could not make out. A blaring force of light grabbed her pupils and strangled them so strenuously she could not see. While she was tossed around abruptly by the men yelling uncontrollably at her, she found herself in the back of a police car, trembling with fear.
    Then came again the light, but when she saw it clearly she slowly faded from the police car and into the real world. She gasped. Breathing speedily, Laura looked at her suitcase, half full. She peered around the room to quickly recognize that it was not the hotel, and became stiff with surprise and hysterical fear. When she looked at the clock, she saw it was five in the morning. Worried, she scanned her face in the old mirror.
“ What have I done?” she thought, angry at herself as she grabbed her half filled suitcase and walked down the stairs heading into the freezing, numb air.
For several nights, Laura stayed at the hotel, and no bad luck came to her, yet she still trembled every night afraid to even open the door.
    One afternoon, the phone rang and Laura’s heart skipped a beat. “ Hello?” Laura greeted with surety.
“ It's Kathy,” the voice responded, “ Why don't you pack your stuff and stay over my house for the night?”
“Okay,” Laura agreed with a deep thankful breath.”
Laura left the hotel, turned into Kathy's driveway, and was embraced by the warm amber light emerging from the windows, giving a glow to the snow covered lawn. The old house glowed over the crescent moon, and an eerie atmosphere gave a spooky impression to Laura as her nervousness got the best of her. As she trudged through the fresh snow and walked upon the creaky porch, Kathy opened the door and smiled.
The dim yellow lights led way through the hall, and into the kitchen where Kathy resumed preparing dinner. “ Look...” Kathy turned, “I'm so sorry I had to be the one to tell you. But hey, I guess we will never know for sure if the bad fortune is real or not.” Kathy held the knife tighter not knowing what to say. “ That’s true,” Laura thought, pressing her hand to her forehead, “ I'll only know when it comes.” After a few moments of uncomfortable, uneasy silence, Laura muttered, “ I'm going to go wash my hands. I'll be back in one second.” “Okay,” Kathy acknowledged, as she cut more vegetables for the soup, “the bathroom is down the hall and to the left.” Laura slowly spun her feet, and continued down the hall. As she did, Kathy could not help but notice how much Laura's emotions affected her once cheery mood. “ Why her! Why does she get the bad luck,” Kathy thought, shedding an abundance of tears for her best friend.
As Laura was about to shut the bathroom lights off, she heard an excruciating scream that tensed all her bones and stopped her from breathing. Just as fast as the bathroom lights turned off, the screaming stopped. Laura was breathing heavily as if she had just run a long race. “ What Is that,” she thought, trembling uncontrollably and tensing every bone in her body. Her heart beat rapidly and was coming out of her chest as she walked through the dark, unlit hallway.
“ Kathy. ..Kathy!” Laura screamed, “ Kathy! Was that you? Where are you?” Laura’s fright and nervousness stopped her from moving. Each step took great effort and confidence as she tried to make as little sound possible. Once Laura arrived in the kitchen, she peered at the cutting board and her heart quickly stopped.
“ No. No this can't be,” Laura softly spoke aloud. With a shaking finger, she pointed silently to the blue colored, snowflake nail upon a familiar finger gushing with a dark, scarlet color.
Laura was neither sad nor mad, but so shocked that moving was impossible. Quietly, she walked around each corner of the spooky house, whispering “ Kathy” every now and then. The house was pitch black, and Laura was too startled to turn on any of the lights. Around the refrigerator door, Laura slowly peeked her head, causing a slow creaking sound in the old wood floors. The clock did not tick, Laura's heart did not beat, and Kathy's heart had stopped forever.
There on the old wood floor, beside the window illuminating with Christmas lights, lay Kathy's body, stabbed with a shining silver knife directly in her heart. Laura knelt down suddenly beside her, and with her eyes closed with tears, she screamed with all her soul and furry. “Kathy….Kathy,” she cried, “ why!”
Out the window, sirens began ringing louder and louder, lights becoming brighter and brighter. Suddenly, a loud, “ BANG,” and the door was open by an army of police officers and paramedics who quickly grabbed innocent Kathy.
“ Put your hands where I can see them,” yelled the police officers, causing Laura to anxiously follow their word. They quickly approached Laura, cuffing her with a pair of handcuffs. “ No No,” Laura calmly protested, “ It is not what you think. Please let me explain-”
“ No need to explain,” they mouthed in a rude manner, “ lock her up.”
    “What? No…. Sir,” she cried hysterically, “ you have it all wrong!” The officers looked at Laura, knowing well of the situation. Without a word, the officers struggled to bring Laura into the police car, soon headed for the bars. No matter how much Laura screamed and squirmed, the officers simply continued.
The blaring lights and sirens clouded Lara's vision, although she quickly glanced to see Kathy being loaded into an ambulance. The metal bars beside and in front of her face made her feel hopeless and betrayed. The car began to move, and as Laura closed her eyes tightly, she wondered, “Which part of this was my bad fortune? Has it come at all?”

This piece is an ironic story of a girl's bad fortune, and her friend's murder.