Darkness | Teen Ink

Darkness

By g.trivisani20 BRONZE, Oakland, New Jersey
g.trivisani20 BRONZE, Oakland, New Jersey

My short story is basically a mysterious and dark beginning to what could be a long book about Ouija boards and spirits and spirits lerking in the dark.

Chapter 1: The beginning

I carried the lightweight, dark, mysterious box up to her front steps. My knees were trembling as I rang the doorbell that kept a faint orange glow. I looked around me at the suffocating darkness that was falling. I always felt like the nighttime brought out something in me, if not something from the shadows, that was unknown to me at the time, and was always lurking and following in my footsteps everywhere I went. I heard a persistent voice from inside the dreary house yell “COMING” from far away. As the footsteps got closer my heartbeat got heavier, and the door was swung open.
“It’s time. Come in.” she said.
I walked in leaving all possibilities beyond the threshold in fear of the unknowing spirits we would soon encounter. Who knows what else the night would awaken. Who knows what would happen once this board entered the sacred home of one Isabella Williams.
Silence fell in around me and like a record player stuck on repeat, my mind couldn’t think of anything but she is your best friend and you can do this for her. You need to do this for her and with a glimmer of hope, everything will be fine.
Every light in the house seemed to be off and empty like a puppy waiting for it’s owner to return after a long day of being alone. The house was always alone, since they left. She was always alone except for having me. She guided me to the dining room that seemed to be the only room lit up by just a few simple candles lining the windowsill and table. We were completely closed off. Maybe we were protected, maybe we were trapped. Once again, there was no knowing.
I dropped the horrifying board directly down on the black wooden table and waited for there to be a heavy sound, but none came. My breath stopped. This was already too much for me to handle.
“Okay Gi… we need to start this. I need to figure out who or what is doing this to me. I need to know. Can you promise me you will help me. Don’t leave me. I can’t be alone because without you, I am completely alone.” Izzy said.
“I promise. I will never leave you. Because without you, I am completely alone too.” I replied.
I took the lid off of the box and slowly, gently, placed it on the table. I could feel the tension and fear as the both of us looked at the big black letters that displayed the word OUIJA on the top.
“Ok… put two fingers on this thing… and don’t move them or else we could lose control of the board.” Izzy told me as she pointed towards the planchette.
I did as she said.
“Alright… I’ll start… Here goes nothin’.”
My fingers moved along with the planchette as Izzy circled it around the board saying “Ouija Ouija… are there any spirits here?”
There was silence. There was no movement in the room until the candles that were lit in rows started moving. Then my heart dropped.
The planchette started moving towards yes, slowly, but clearly.
“Ok Izzy if you are moving it stop.” I said panicking.
“No you are don’t try to blame me, if you’re doing this as a joke I swear.”
“Izzy… if neither of us are moving it… who is…”
Then the unspeakable happened.
All of the candles in the room flickered and then were out. There was entire darkness in the room except for one candle right in front of the board. Izzy and I looked at each other with blank expressions that told of fright and then suddenly the our hands were being forced to push the planchette towards the letter m.
“M” Izzy and I said at the same time waiting for something else to happen.
The candle flickered as the wooden piece moved quickly towards the letter e.
“E” we said simultaneously yet again.
“Me.” I almost couldn't get the word out because of the terror that was welling up inside me.
The last candle seemed to be blown out suddenly by a gust of wind. I quickly reached for Izzy’s hand and held on as tight as I could. We had to stop our screams in order to hear the whisper coming from all around us.
The voice said “Isabella… it is time for you to be with your family.”
Before the message was sent from my brain to my hand to squeeze my best friend’s, she escaped my grasp and I was left holding onto nothing but darkness. The only thing I could do was scream into the emptiness until everything stopped and was frozen in time, at least, it seemed to be for me.

This was based on a partially true story!