Alter Ego | Teen Ink

Alter Ego

By kskil BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado
kskil BRONZE, Boulder, Colorado

The tall, gaunt man stumbled into the coffee shop; blood splattered across his trench coat as if it were an abstract painting.
“Sir can I help you?” The barista asked, gripping the countertop in fear.
He spoke in a deep, rushed voice, “In exactly 30 seconds a man will come into this shop, do not trust a word he says.”
The tall, gaunt man stumbled into the coffee shop. 
The barista turned in confusion, “Wha..” She began
The original man had vanished, not a single trace of him left, as if he had never been there. The woman looked around the room, the customers were sipping their low-fat dairy free lattes, and nibbling pieces off their vegan coffee cake; nothing out of the ordinary.
The tall man approached, he wore the same trench coat, had the same piercing blue eyes, subtle beard lining his chin, and strong aura of smoke; but this time, no blood.
“How may I help you?”  She asked, her voice quivering.
“Do you really have to ask?” He replied, in the same husky voice as the first man.
“I...I don’t know what you’re talking about” she stuttered.
“ You’ve spoken to my alter ego as I see” He replied, slurring his words together.
“Your what?” She asked.
“Don’t play dumb with me, I know you talked to him, the other me, my “better half”, at least that's what he thinks.” The lean man grumbled.
“Sir I have customers to get to so if you are not going to order, I'll have to ask you to step out of line, this is a coffee shop.” The barista injected promptly, trying desperately to get out of the conversation.
Perfectly in sync, the two turned their heads to the waiting area behind them. Absolutely no one. The man c***ed an eyebrow in question, realising her plan.
Thirty seconds of complete silence passed before the man finally spoke again.
“I need your help.” He begged. 
She stood still, not breaking eye contact for even a second.
“Please, I don't know what to do, the people, they say I'm crazy that he's not really there, a figment of my imagination. I can’t sleep, eat, even think, without him being there, he's everywhere.”
As he said this, the man's features began to soften, his eyes were no longer cold and intimidating, but soft and pleading, almost puppy like. His long, dark, trench coat became less ominus, and more innocent.
“I don't understand, why me?” the woman asked, her voice prevailing more confidence than before.
“Because you see him too.”