Knowing Mary | Teen Ink

Knowing Mary

By TakeAGuessKatara SILVER, Beltsville, Maryland
TakeAGuessKatara SILVER, Beltsville, Maryland

"Live for tomorrow, remember today, and smile because you survived yesterday," by Me

I could hear the pull and push of the rising tide. A reminder that I didn't die last week and that I have a life people expect me to live. I got up off the sopping sand to stand in front of an empty beach. The whole beach was void of life except a sparse spread of low brush. It was more of a desert than a beach but the sound of the tide always brought me back. I scanned the horizon and saw a small picnic basket in the distance. I hobbled towards the basket in hope that it was the approved drop off point. I hobbled briskly and careful so I wouldn't cut myself on the stray beer bottles and broken seashells. Once I reached the basket I saw an M carved in the thatched surface. This was it. It had to be! HQ said that there would be a thatched basket at the end with information on whether I was successful or not on my mission. They said it would have a carved M for Mary and here it was. I collapsed by the basket as the hope that this dreaded mission was coming to an end consumed much of my energy. I used the last of my energy to open the basket and I saw it: the head of Haroshi Koi. I was successful! I can finally rest! And I took that thought seriously as I fell unconscious on the sparse beach grass.