Big Mistake | Teen Ink

Big Mistake

September 28, 2015
By J3w3L GOLD, Bonners Ferry, Idaho
J3w3L GOLD, Bonners Ferry, Idaho
15 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Beauty isn't about having a pretty face. It's about having a pretty mind, pretty heart, and pretty soul."


‘I didn’t know it yet, but today is the day that changed everything.’
My name is Jane Ross. My dog’s name is Barley. He told me so. No, don’t ask. That’s a different story. This one is about how I almost died just because I made one stupid, big mistake.
It started in front of the old Jenkins house. I stopped in front of it because I swear I saw the curtains move. At first I thought it was the wind, but the windows were closed. I decided to re-take my “protection shield”. I crossed my eyes, stuck out my tongue, and jumped around in an invisible circle. Feeling satisfied, I started home. That’s when I remembered. I turned around slowly. My dog was nowhere in sight. Last I’d seen him, he had been on the porch of the old house. I started calling for him, but gave up. He knows how to get home. I turned around and left, shivering the whole way there.
When I got home, I suddenly felt exhausted and light-headed. I went to my room and flopped down on my bed. As soon as my head hit the pillow, I fell into a deep sleep.
At first it was black. Then there was a strange glow. I had to squint when it got brighter. Then I saw it. My dog. Floating in midair. I laughed.
“I knew you’d come back,” I started. “You’re too smart to get...” Barley started talking before I could finish.
“You left me in that house with that monster. I bet you didn’t know I was eaten.” He started to fade. “Now it’s your turn.” He disappeared completely.
“…lost,” I squeaked, finishing my sentence. Then it went dark.
When I could see, I was floating over an ocean and there were trees a thousand times my size. I looked down and screamed. I was a fly. A hideous, horrible fly. And right in front of me was a vast frog. It was staring at its next meal.
Me.
I tried to get away, but I wasn’t fast enough. It went pitch black. I couldn’t see a thing. It could only mean one thing. I was in its mouth. I started crying (which is pretty hard for a fly). I prayed and wished I could rewind to when I left Barley in the old Jenkins house.
Suddenly I saw a flash of light from behind my eyelids. I slowly opened them. I gasped. I was standing in front of the old Jenkins house. I laughed and started jumping, pumping my fist in the air and whooping with joy. Then I remembered. I started calling for Barley and saw him waddling towards the house. I scooped him up and skipped home.
As I walked up the steps I saw my mother’s Ford in the garage. I pushed open the door and saw her putting groceries away. I dropped Barley and rushed up to her and gave her a huge, sloppy kiss on the cheek. She pushed me back with surprise, and wrinkling her nose in disgust.
“Jane, what is that horrendous smell?” She sniffed the air around me. “Is that you? What have you been doing? No, don’t tell. I really don’t want to know. Just go take a shower.” She pointed towards the bathroom. “Now.”
I sighed and dragged myself to the bathroom door and looked into the mirror. I smiled. I looked like a mess. I sniffed and almost gagged.
After taking a long and scalding hot shower, I walked to my room and flopped down on the bed. I looked over and saw Barley smiling at me. I grunted and threw a pillow at him. I couldn’t stop myself from smiling as he scrambled out of the way.
Today was a pretty long day, but I bet tomorrow will be longer.


The author's comments:

I made a book like this in fifth grade, and the rewote it in eighth grade. I hope it's as good as me and my family say it is.