The Cabin | Teen Ink

The Cabin

June 8, 2015
By iiiReignZ BRONZE, Gresham, Oregon
iiiReignZ BRONZE, Gresham, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


The phone rang.  Travis came out from underneath the car he was under.  He had been putting in new tire end rods.  Travis is tall and skinny, with brown curly hair that pushes out each side of a flat-billed hat which he always wears.  He picks up the phone, “Mt. Hood Power and Performance, how may I help you?”
A female’s voice replied, “I need to get a 3.0 turbo installed on my car.”
“What’s the make, model and year?”  Travis asked politely.
“98’ Toyota Supra,” she said sharply.
“That’s a beautiful car. I would love to work on it.  I’ll order the kit and call you when it’s in, then we can go ahead and install.  You are aware of how much this will cost, right?  This job could get spendy,”  Travis said shyly.
The girl snapped back, “I know what I’m doing.” Followed by the click of the phone.  Travis didn’t know what it was but he was strangely attracted to this girl and her snappy attitude. Something about her voice was almost heavenly. 
He shook it off, and got back to work. After Travis got the part ordered for the girl’s car, he went back to finishing the exhaust work on a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution his friend brought in.  The rest of the day went by pretty fast.  At the end of the day Travis cleaned his shop and walk into his home. Travis lived alone, in a beautiful two story home where he also worked.  Each room that was not being used by a person was being used by some exotic species.  Plants and animals alike if they were rare Travis had them.  It was his hobby outside of the fast cars and the adrenaline rush. This day was different, though.  No matter what he did he couldn’t get this girl off of his mind.
** 1 week later **
The UPS employee stood in the door of Travis’s shop, amazed. He shouted, “Travis!!”
With a loud thump and a crash of metal, Travis came out from underneath the car with blood dripping down his face.  The mail man standing there in silence, looked at Travis, and gestured towards a big cardboard box. “Here’s your package. Can you sign here?”
“Thank you,” Travis replied quickly.
“Are you ok?” the man asked.
“I just bumped my head on the transmission. I’ll be ok.” He quickly put the box down and ran into his house.  When he looked in the mirror he was dripping in blood.  He quickly cleaned up and gave the mysterious girl a call. 
She picked up the phone, “Hello.”
“Hey, it’s Travis from Mt. Hood Power and Performance.  Your turbo kit came in today.  Whenever you want to bring in your car I’ll get started,” he said professionally.
“Ok I’ll be there in a few.” Once again she hung up with no goodbye. 
She was right, she showed up in minutes.  Travis had her pull into the garage.  When she got out Travis couldn’t believe his eyes, she was breathtaking .  You could tell by the way she carried herself she was a racer. 
“You didn’t tell me you were good looking.”  She said breaking the silence.
Travis felt himself get red. embarrassed he said, “I could say the same to you.  Over the phone you came off a bit sassy.”
She laughed and threw Travis her keys. “Take care of her please.”
With confidence Travis says, “I always do.”
“Mind if I watch?” she questioned. 
“Not at all, may I ask why you are putting a turbo in this,” Travis smiled when he spoke. 
She smirked, “More torque, longer drifts, right.”
Travis never really liked people much, especially ones he didn’t know.  For some reason this girl comforted him.  He immediately got to work.  She stood there quietly observing Travis and everything he was doing.  Travis put the car up on the lift and stood underneath it.  Suddenly Travis got this weird chill up his spine.  He looked around.  She was no where to be found.  He stopped everything he was doing and looked around the shop for her.  She was no where to be found.   Inside he thought to himself.  Terrified she would walk into the wrong room and get eaten, Travis ran into his house.  He looked room by room and found nothing.  He heard a loud thunk come from the kitchen.  He sprinted down stairs and into the kitchen.  There she was standing in the doorway with a meat cleaver in her hand.  Just to her right was the head of a lynx Travis had raised from a baby.  Anger rose up inside Travis.  He felt it fire up in his stomach like an engine.  “What have you done!” he screamed.
“I opened a door to a room and it chased me down here.  I’m so sorry. I had to or it would have done the same to me.”  She said trembling.
Travis shouted, “Why did you go snooping around my house?”
“I wanted to know more about you,” she said looking at the ground.
“By snooping around?  You could’ve asked.  Here lets go get you cleaned up.  I’ll clean up this mess,” Travis said trying to comfort her.  He got her in the bathroom and washed all the blood off of her clothes.  Travis tried to grab the meat cleaver from her, but she didn’t budge.  He grabbed a garbage bag and bleach to clean up the mess and the dead lynx. 
Travis walked outside, and threw away his cat, trying not to shed a tear.  When Travis walked inside he noticed an awkward silence, almost like something was breathing on his neck.  He never caught the girl’s name.  He didn't know to call for her.  He searched the house once again, to find her in the room where Travis always smoked his cigars.  Facing him with the meat cleaver in her hand, Travis quietly says, “Let’s go get some lunch.”
“Sure,” she replied shrugging her shoulders, staring at the ground. 
Travis turned around, to feel an excruciating pain in his back.  He hit the ground, the hallway in front of him faded back.  Her laugh filled the air, as the world had faded away in front of him.