Her Minds Mystery | Teen Ink

Her Minds Mystery

March 13, 2015
By HeatherTucker SILVER, Hayward, California
HeatherTucker SILVER, Hayward, California
7 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We accept the love we think we deserve"


Each day is grey and bleak in the city. In the old, poor side of town sits an abandoned, worn down house, a mansion rather. Grace visits this mansion very often, seeking the mystery behind the haunted space beneath the house. Each visit brings a new clue, yet a different scenario than the last. It’s terrifying, and whatever is there, has been there for a while.
The first occurrence happened by accident, Grace never actually meant to go inside the mansion. She was running from something, but didn't know what it was, so she ran into the mansion through a side hole that lead straight into the living room. From the inside of the mansion it appeared to have no front door; or any windows either. Everything was rotten and dusty and broken. There was no furniture in the living room except for a small fancy table meant for a single vase that sat right up against the left wall. 
The wall Grace faced had a staircase on the right hand side; it was narrow and completely hidden behind a tall wall. The part of the wall where there would have been space under the stairs had been tampered with. When Grace drew closer to peer inside the small opening, it was as if she was transported inside the hole and was floating, looking down.
She found herself in a small, lightly lit elevator shaft. The physical pain the elevator shaft brought to her chest and stomach made her afraid. Nothing natural could cause that. The elevator shaft for the most part looked dry and empty but when Grace would blink, she would see flashes of red smeared on the walls. Chained arms and legs dangled from the walls while the rest of the bodies lied in heaps on the floor. Multiple bodies had been severed, their human parts scattered everywhere, all floating in a pool of pure blood. Grace began to hyperventilate.
When Grace looked, the hole was still there but she didn't just appear outside the elevator shaft has she had when she entered it. She was too big and didn't fit, so she had to crawl through the hole while breaking off pieces of wall; she thought she’d die just from being so terrified. Finally she made it out, but the day outside was different. It was sunny and the mansion did have windows; three to be exact, one on each wall. She found she was standing atop a loft where the stair case led to. Where there should have been a wall to define the back of the house, instead she was looking down into an endlessly long and dark elevator shaft that had no bottom. This was the first encounter.
The second encounter happened very differently, Grace came back to something very different from an elevator shaft. She entered similarly however, down the side of the house. Except she found a patio area covered with a giant tarp. It was cluttered and covered in cobwebs. A dusty screen door stood ajar, inviting Grace in. She had an uneasy, queasy feeling but some type of force was pulling her closer.  Before she passed through the door, she couldn't see anything but endless black. Once inside, however, she was standing in a well lit dining space with broken walls and floors. The dining table and chairs were scattered about the room in several pieces; she had to watch her step.
Grace was not alone this time; two people she’d never met had accompanied her without her knowledge. Somehow she knew that they were her friends though. They walked up the familiar stairs and the disturbed wall opening was no longer there. Once on the loft, the elevator shaft ceased to exist. Instead, a grand medieval ballroom took its place. A brand new finished railing kept Grace and her friends from fall in.
All the sudden Grace knew that they were not supposed to be there. She also knew that they were lured there by an invisible force as a test, and they’d failed. Grace needed to see what would happen; she threw her scarf onto the ballroom floor. Before it even touched the bottom it sizzled up and evaporated. Following Grace’s move, transparent figures began popping up all over the ballroom floor in couples and began spinning around. It took a moment to realize they were people; only not.
One of them made eye contact with Grace and she found herself completely immobile against her will. A sensation began to form in her skull that felt like her brain was ballooning. Grace’s vision went black and yellow around the edges, and she was out. This was the second encounter.
The third encounter happened just very recently. Grace entered the mansion with no intention, she was suddenly just there. Only this time, she wasn't grace as herself, she was a child and there were two of her. The mansion had only the lighting of candles. On the loft, the elevator shaft had returned and a small platform sat next to its opening. Second Grace stood on top while Grace began pulling the rope to lower the platform. As Second Grace drifted further down, Grace knew that this was a game.
A second platform appeared adjacent to the first, only elevated more so, and Grace got on. This time Second Grace pulled the rope and Grace went down coming eye level to her mysterious twin. They took turns until Grace was the only one left standing in light; Second Grace was suspending in total darkness. She started to panic and that was when Grace realized she’d been fooled, again. She grabbed both ropes and tugged hard before they were both trapped in the darkness. Grace made it back to the top of the loft and ran. She ran harder than she ever had before. Second Grace didn't make it out though. For some reason, Grace feels like she’s been there more than three times.
These three encounters are the only ones she can remember, yet somehow she knows she’s been there at least a dozen times. Every now and then pictures flash across her mind that she’s never actually seen before. I know for a fact however, that she’s been there every night for the past six months.