Ding-Dong | Teen Ink

Ding-Dong

December 22, 2014
By Whatcem SILVER, İstanbul, Other
Whatcem SILVER, İstanbul, Other
8 articles 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is short, birds are flying."
-Cemal Süreya


The ding-dong voice of the doorbell echoes in the house. I don’t expect anyone to come over so I open the door with little bit of worry on my face. But there is nothing to be concern, it was Aunt Anita. I smile and hug her as her bitter cold skin irritates me. “It gotta be real cold out there right auntie?” She walks towards to living room while murmuring something to reply me. “Do you want anything to drink?” “Yes, get me some water please, I am really thirsty.” The dullness on her behaviors make me want to ask her if everything is okay but probably it was the typical arguments she had with her daughter.  As she drinks the water, I gaze at her wrinkled face more carefully. She must had been through and learned a lot. I wonder if I will have those same wrinkles one day. Her voice cuts off my thoughts suddenly. “Where was the bathroom honey?” I point at the second white door on the hole. As she walks away from the room, my phone tinkles. Caller ID was mom, probably she just called to room about the new girl in the neighbor. I open it anyways. Her trembling voice crosses the phone harshly. Before I had a chance to ask what happened, she shouts. “Your Auntie Anita, sh-she got a car accident, and, oh honey I’m so sorry, and she died.” With the sound of the opening bathroom door, I realize the knife block for decoration on the table was gone.