Shadow | Teen Ink

Shadow

July 10, 2014
By SaonaBailey SILVER, Daisy Hill, Other
SaonaBailey SILVER, Daisy Hill, Other
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Shadow:

The bullet fired, a deafening sound filled the area, drowning the senses of everyone in the room as a white smoke filled the scene.

The audience clapped, and Jacq slunked back into her chair and desperately tried to escape from view of the hundreds of people exiting the room as the credits rolled up the screen. She couldn’t bear to be one of those people the left the theatre early, instead of fully acknowledging all the hard work that goes into the making of the film - Either that or she didn’t want to bump into anyone she knew in the hustle to leave.

That was when it started. The chain of events that would one day help her to prove her identity, and the existence of her species.

Passing through the entrance to the theatre, carefully dodging the cleaning ladies as they scurried in, she witnessed a group of teenagers, roughly her age, whose clothing would have been considered as immodest by the last generation, but seemed to be the casual dress for that time. Among them and their brightly coloured clothing, was what looked like a shadow? Soon enough however, the shadow’s head tilted upwards, revealing piecing green eyes that sunk deep into Jacq’s soul.

She knew, at this point, to turn around and seek shelter behind the popcorn stand and then when it was dark, run home. But she just couldn’t steal her eyes away.

Before she could say ‘ghost’, he was standing opposite her, so that she could feel his breath against her face. He snarled into her ear, before whispering in a low tone: “What did you see?”


The author's comments:
The mysterious figure in this piece is derived from my idea of a soulful character, and also from various novel heroes i have read and enjoyed.