Subject A | Teen Ink

Subject A

By punk_zebra13 BRONZE, Huntsville, Alabama
punk_zebra13 BRONZE, Huntsville, Alabama

“Everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, it's not the end.”

― John Lennon

*These are actual notes released to the public in the summer of 2017. They were found in a secret underground government facility in 2003.

1/1/1999
We have started the experiments. We injected subject A with eight mL of the X8J7 virus. The subject had no major changes. We will continue to observe the subject over the course of two months. If the subject does not show any changes it will be terminated.

1/2/1999
Subject has been screaming non-stop for three hours. We are afraid that it may destroy or injure its vocal cords. There have been no physical changes.

1/3/1999
Subject A has ceased screaming. There seems to be no damage of the vocal cords. Subject has been motionless for hours. The only sign of life is the slow and erratic breathing. Subject has had no physical changes.

1/4/1999
Subject has been mumbling to a wall for exactly forty-five minutes. It seems as though it believes someone or something is standing there. We cannot decipher what it is say, though it does not seem to be in English.

1/5/1999
Subject is gone. We returned this morning to find the observers glass shattered. We have searched the entire facility and found nothing, but there is no sign that is left the building. We have been quarantined to the building. We are all locked inside of the laboratory. We don’t have a lot of supplies. We have about three days’ worth of food for three people. We would be fine if there weren’t seven of us in here.

1/8/1999
We can hear it. It’s crawling through the vents, laughing at us. It’s been doing this for hours. I don’t know how long I can take this. I will surely go crazy if I have to listen to this any longer. The seven of us have been rationing the food. HQ has contacted us. They don’t want to risk the subject escaping. They’re trying to put together a capture squad, but the budget is small. I don’t know how we’re going to get out of here.

1/11/1999
We’ve run out of food. We’re all suffering from the side effects of dehydration. The eldest of us, she is fifty three of age; she has been hallucinating so horrible that we’ve had to tie to one of the counters. I am the only one without family. Subject A is gone. We can’t hear it anymore. I want to believe that it has left but I know that it’s just waiting for us to come out. It wants to kill us.

1/15/1999
It’s releasing the virus through the air vents. It infected the subject within one day. I believe that we have all been subjected to this for at least five days. The subject was injected, and it began changing within one day. I don’t know how long it will take to affect us when traveling through the air.

1/16/1999
I didn’t know what to do. One of the scientists attacked me. I killed her. She had a family, children. She was someone’s daughter, and I killed her. I can’t take this anymore. There are only five of us left. Two are dead. We can hear subject A in the vents again. I don’t know why it doesn’t come to finish us off. We are weak; we could not fight it off.

1/19/1999
It killed them. I am the only one left. It came into the laboratory through the vents. I escaped while it was killing them. I found a supply closet and hid. I’ve piled things in front of the door but I know that it will find me eventually.

1/20/1999
I can hear it. It’s calling my name. How does it know my name? I’m going to die! It’s going to kill me! It’s pushing through my barrier! I’m going to

*At this point the handwriting changes.

They had no hearts. They deserved to die. They had no hearts. They deserved to die. They had no hearts. They deserved to die. They had no hearts. They deserved to die.

*This went on for seven more pages. All seven scientists were found badly mutilated. All of their hearts were ripped out of their chests. The hearts were never found, and subject A was never identified.

THIS IS NOT REAL! IT IS COMPLETELY FICTIONAL!

i_am_lord_troldemort SILVER, Marietta, Georgia

“Real gangster-ass Nerdfighters don’t run from nothing… ‘cause real gangster-ass Nerdfighters can’t run fast.”
and
“Saying 'I notice you're a nerd' is like saying, 'Hey, I notice that you'd rather be intelligent than be stupid, that you'd rather be thoughtful than be vapid, that you believe that there are things that matter more than the arrest record of Lindsay Lohan. Why is that?' In fact, it seems to me that most contemporary insults are pretty lame. Even 'lame' is kind of lame. Saying 'You're lame' is like saying 'You walk with a limp.' Yeah, whatever, so does 50 Cent, and he's done all right for himself.”

Holy crap this is amazing.