The End of the World | Teen Ink

The End of the World

By Caitibug SILVER, Powell, Tennessee
Caitibug SILVER, Powell, Tennessee

Here I was, driving my navy blue convertible down the desert on the way to the Grand Canyon. I felt the wind blowing against my face; since the desert was hot and sticky, I very much appreciated the cool breeze.

It was December 21, 2012. The day the world was supposedly going to end. I personally didn't believe it. However, I noticed that each of my family members were mysteriously disappearing in alphabetical order that day; I was next. Not only that my friends and classmates were eerily vanishing. But I merely told myself it was just a coincidence; a very odd coincidence, that is.

But I did worry. I worried that I was going to die. I was sure that the world wasn't going to end, but I could die at any time. That was why I was taking a trip to the trip to the Grand Canyon and to my grandmother's house.

I had always wanted to go to the Grand Canyon ever since I was a young child. Even though I hated hot, sweaty places, I was very much excited to go. But I was even more excited to visit my grandmother. I glanced at my mirror in the car, and saw the cat resting peacefully in the back seat.

It was a beautiful, white Persian cat. It wasn't even a month old. I had bought the cat as a companion for my grandmother. Her husband had suddenly died, and I decided to get her a cat. A smile spread across my face as I thought of the reaction of Grandma when she was going to see the cat.

All of a sudden, a chill went down my spine, and I was freezing as an ice cube. Why was I feeling so cold? It was more than ninety degrees for heaven's sake! Not to mention I was in the middle of a desert. I rolled up the windows and my car's roof.

I looked around me, and noticed something odd. I realized that I was the only person in the desert driving. Why, the desert's paved roads were usually covered with cars!

Just then my car suddenly stopped. I thought to myself, my car must have broken down.

I got out of the car and lifted open the hood. Inside the hood was completely empty! There weren't any engines or anything! I thought to myself, how strange.

I looked up from the hood, and I found something else quite eerie. The desert was floating in the midair. The sky was gray and dreary and covered with big, stormy clouds.

I felt depressed as if somebody just literally stabbed myself in the heart. I knelt down, holding my stomach in pain; I felt like I was going to puke. I looked up from the ground, and saw the cat walking up to me, its yellow-green eyes looking straight into my brown eyes.

The cat was for some reason creeping me out. I refused to make direct eye contact with the cat. The cat meowed and then whispered tauntingly: Watch out or else.

I gasped. Did the cat just talked? I shook my head and blinked my eyes. The cat walked away, cackling. Had I just lost my mind?!

I got up from the ground and started to walk toward my car. When I opened the hood, it wasn't empty anymore; there were engines and everything. I glanced at the cat; she was sitting in the back seat as if nothing happened. The desert wasn't floating in midair. Everything was back to normal. I let out a sigh of relief; I must have had been dreaming.

I was able to fix my car, and soon enough I was back on the road. When I looked in my rear-view mirror, I swore I saw somebody--or something--sitting next to the cat. I gasped, and blinked my eyes. Then I checked the mirror again. There wasn't anybody. I sighed and shook my head; I must have been losing my mind.

*

*

*

*

At last I had arrived at my grandmother's house. I parked in front of her beautiful Victorian mansion. I walked up to the front door and rang the bell. There was no answer. I rang the bell again. No answer. After ringing the bell several more times, I began to worry. Had something happened to dear, dear grandma?

I looked for Grandma's spare key. I found it underneath her 'Welcome' mat, and I unlocked the door. I entered the house, and called out,"Grandma?! Where are you?! This is your grandson, David Matthews!"

There was no answer. I ran around the house, looking for Grandma. I found her in her bedroom. She was lying in her bed, her eyes closed.

I shook her body and yelled,"Grandma?! Grandma?! Please wake up!" She did not wake up. Tears welled up in my eyes; my grandma was dead.

Before I could leave the bedroom, I suddenly fell down. "Ouch!" I cried as I fell down. My lower back, my stomach, and my ankles were aching with extreme pain. Then my heart stopped.

Seconds later, I dropped dead. The world around me dropped dead. They were right; the world did end after all.

Practically everybody thought the world was going to end on December 21, 2012. I didn't fully believe that the world was going to end, but I wasn't entirely sure that world wouldn't end either. Of course, it never happened. However, I thought to myself: What if the world DID end? That was how my fictional piece was born.