Good Guy Finishes First | Teen Ink

Good Guy Finishes First

February 11, 2014
By thedepartedone GOLD, Visalia, California
thedepartedone GOLD, Visalia, California
16 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is not doing a sum, but yet painting a picture."


Tim was always an outcast of the group. He spent many school days alone. One day, he spotted a girl named Paige. She was gorgeous: blonde, freckles upon her pale skin. She was not too bright. Paige had got suspended a few time because of her dependency on cheating to pass classes. It did not really matter though, her family was one of the richest in town. She was spoiled and lived off of her father’s money.

It was Monday morning at Lincoln High. Tim was standing against the wall next to his first period class. “Good morning, Paige!,” Tim squeaked. A small grin lit up his face and displayed some of his insecurity. Little did he know Paige’s boyfriend was tagging along with her.

“Tim, you are a creepy nerd. I do not want you talking to Paige. She does not have time for you,” Jared shoved Tim in the puddle of mud next to him. “Watch yourself or you’ll regret it.”, Jared threatened. Paige grabbed on to Jared and laughed. They continue walking along campus leaving Tim to himself and the puddle he had been shoved into. He was angry. He clenched onto the straps on his backpack and threw it back on.

“I am done putting up with this,” Tim said to himself while wiping the mud off his glasses and onto his shirt. Everything around Tim seemed to be going wrong. Whether it was his non-existent social life or his dysfunctional family. So much anger was growing inside of him, it would not be much longer until it busted out. He proceeded stomping away to class; he was not looking forward to seeing Paige next period.

As Paige entered the classroom, a smell of roses invaded Tim’s nose. He cringed: it was a smell he no longer wanted to enjoy. She sat next to Sage.

“I got the keys to my dad’s cabin for you and Jared this weekend.”, Sage whispered.

“Are you sure no one will be there?,” Paige sounded worried.

“I am positive. Quit worrying about it. My dad is in Texas for work and there’s no one that should be going over there. Have fun, what’s the worse that can happen?”, Sage said in an annoyed tone. She handed Paige two sets of keys. “I know how you are with keeping track of stuff so there’s an extra.”

Tim was eavesdropping on their conversation. He was invisible to them like he was with most girls. The girls kept talking but it was about Jared so he quit listening. He focused more on his essay. The minutes went by quickly and the dismissal bell rang. He walked out of the classroom right behind Paige. He hated the fact that their houses were in the same direction. Sometimes, if he walked too close to Paige, she would make an insulting comment and Jared would be notified right away. He walked in a slower pace so he did not get too close to her.

About a block away from his house, he noticed something Paige had dropped. He bent over to grab it. It was the extra key. There was a tag on it that was faded, it had the address of Sage’s father’s cabin in the hills. This whole time it had been on the verge of falling out of Paige’s small back pocket. As he looked at the key, he smiled with a long grin. After that, Tim ran the rest of the way home.

He opened the door to his house in a rush then he ran upstairs. He waited anxiously for a couple of hours, shifting the keys back and forth between his fingers. He was in a rush again. He ran downstairs and was out the door and into his car. He began driving and glancing at the grey and gloomy sky.

Tim finally arrived close to where the cabin was. He parked a couple of blocks away. He walked over in the direction of the cabin. When he finally discovered it, he kneeled by the window. The cabin was next to the forest. The forest was beautiful, green, and full of life while the rugged cabin seemed misplaced: rugged and barely standing. He leaned up a bit to take a peek, there was Jared and Paige. Jared turned around and saw Tim and began yelling. In response, Tim held up the crowbar he had gotten from his trunk and busted the windows. The glass shattered everywhere.

Paige shrieked, “Jared, are you okay?! Tim, WHAT THE HE-” Tim interrupted, “You see, Paige, this will make my work here a whole lot easier.” Tim lunged his fist at Jared’s face. Jared fell to the ground surrounded by the glass, clenching to the area around his eye while groaning in pain.
“Tim, what are you talking about?! What are you going to do?”, Paige was terrified. Tim just smiled. He took the crowbar and smashed Jared’s head in. Paige looked at the morbid sight. Jared’s face was no longer recognizable. It now resembled a smashed pumpkin. She did not know what to do. She ran to the door and tried to escape. However, Tim snatched her. She was in no control of her body.

“Paige, honey, I am not that dumb. I figured you would go for the door but now you are stuck here with me.”, he said. Paige tried throwing herself around to get loose of his grip. He pulled out some tape and covered her mouth with his hand. “Shh, shhh.”, he repeated. He proceeded to wrap the duct tape around her mouth then her body. He then threw her on the couch.

“This is all your fault, Paige. Girls like you never give guys like me a chance. You could have anything you wanted from me, but now it looks like you’ve lost everything.”, Tim said. Tears fell down her face. He put his hand in Jared’s blood that was on the floor and wiped on her face. Tim went out the door while Paige laid there left with the frightening thought of what might happen next.

Tim walked back to his car with a skip in his step like nothing had happened. As if there was not two harmless people he victimized left behind in the cabin. Tim was ironically humming his favorite song, A Forest by The Cure. ... The girl was never there, it was always the same. ... He opened up his trunk grabbed the gallon of gasoline he had and set in the front seat. Tim drove back the cabin. He looked at Paige as he drowsed the wood cabin in gas. He took one last look at her and winked as he lit a match and that was the end of the cabin.

Later that week, no one had seen Tim, Paige, or Jared in days. Sage’s father came back from Texas, only to find his cabin burned down. He searched around and found the crow bar. He also found two set of human remains. Later, the police showed up and investigated. After much work, it was discovered that the bodies belonged to Paige and Jared. However, no one knows what happened that night for sure. No one except for Tim of course, but no one had heard from him in those long few months. Where was Tim off to now?